Sealing black corrugated drain tip connections

I would like to seal some corrugated 4" black plastic pipe connections to minimizes seepage into the soil near those connections . My thoughts are duct tape (or similar), silicone caulk, roofing cement, hydraulic or reg portant cement . I am looking for advice on what to use - thanks

Reply to
rkpatt

If the pipe is installed in the ground at even a gentle slope, available connectors keep 99% of the water inside the pipe. Don't try to use caulk/cement/etc it won't work and you're probably being anal about a leak anyway.

-B

I first wrap the joint with black high quality duct tape, then to a finish wrap of plumbing or pipe tape. It is rubbery, black, stretchable, and has a really sticky underside, with smoothe waterproof exterior. Duct tape alone will rot over time. Such joint leaks are not critical unless they are very near your house. The ones out in the garden, downslope, I justs butt together without any tape, and bury them deep enough to hold the joint together.

Reply to
Roger

You can buy large grommet type seals for drainage pipework, but these are designed to allow some pipe movement with ground heave effects - HOWEVER, the previous poster has hit the problem on the nail for the sheer majority of cases. Slight leakage is always tolerable in modern sewerage systems (& to be expected) - except in Bio-Hazard P4 (BH-P4)level containment - in which case rapid hardening & solid sealing resin based compounds are used to "stop up pipework" fast. However, the real chances of encountering BH - P4 level threats, would be as common as rocking horse manure.

John Locke

Reply to
john-locke