Maytag Neptune lawsuit

Just receive notice of class action settlement for Maytag Neptune front loaders. After reading it several times, seems to me that the settlement is unfair and people should object to it.

For one thing, at least until recently, if you called Maytag and asked about a mildew smell they made all the specified repairs for free, except perhaps the wax motor lock, which they just protected from damage with tape.

For another, as of last month, no new repairs are covered. And if you are living with a smelly machine right now, looks like they won't begin fixing them until 2005 because that is when the paperwork is due in. So what are you supposed to do till then?

Plus the lawyers get $8 million, yet there is only a $2 million fund for cash settlements. Yes there are non-cash reimbursements available but this is obscene.

Seems to me the best thing to do is to attempt to undermine this deal and convince Maytag not to buckle. Their policy of repairing the machines has been fair in my experience. You have until early November to object to the deal. Certainly consider doing so.

Reply to
Art

Apparently if you haven't had a repair before the settlement date. August 9, 2004 I think, you just need to call up Maytag and schedule the free repair. You only need to send in a claim to recover costs for repairs made before that date. That's what we did last week. The reason we called was the washer would no longer enter the spin cycle or drain. They replaced our moldy boot, circuit board, and motor.

IQMGT

Reply to
IQMGT

Apparently, even with the lawsuit against Maytag and an agreement in place where they supposedly HAVE TO attempt to fix the unit at least once as part of the court settlement, they seemingly are grasping at straws looking for excuses to refuse to honor the settlement.

I had called Maytag's toll free number ( 800 462-9824) and spoke with Supervisor Heather Redd, who in turn talked to Dale Reader, Director of Consumer Affairs. The Director refused to speak with me!

I explained the problem with it was the same everyone else was having (failed functions associated with a "wax motor" which burned out components on the circuit board).

It seems all the electronically controlled Neptune units are lemons. Its design is flawed and it stinks - because the door seal collects mold. Not only that, but there has reportedly been a fix with the circuit board that actually leaves the real problem in place.

Do I need to see a lawyer and find out if I should exclude myself from this lawsuit? The thought process goes something like this: I presume it may be easier to get another attorney involved now that the groundwork is done(?). I sure would appreciate some opinions on this!

In any event, I wrote the court regarding procedure for reporting non-compliance, and also asked the attorneys involved for the plaintiff to contact me. The deadline is early November.

All I know is I paid next to nothing for the last washing machine (a Kenmore which was over 10 years old) and kept it running for some 20 odd years with about $40 in repair parts. Now I own one that cost me about the same as 20 used units, and it appears I would have been better off keeping the old one.

Sorry so sour. Obviously I need to regain my composure and figure out what it's going to take to force Maytag to do the right thing.

Reply to
jdworley

they supposedly HAVE TO attempt to fix the

straws looking for excuses to refuse to

Heather Redd, who in turn talked to Dale

functions associated with a "wax motor" which

flawed and it stinks - because the door

circuit board that actually leaves the real

The thought process goes something like

groundwork is done(?). I sure would

and also asked the attorneys involved for

was over 10 years old) and kept it running

about the same as 20 used units, and it

going to take to force Maytag to do the

------------------------ Hi there jdworley,

The line length in your posts is set very long - making it necessary to scroll right to see much of each line of text. Would you please set your newsreader to wrap lines at 80 characters? It will make reading your posts much easier. Thanks very much.

Reply to
Abe

I'd start with the door latch problem. They have an interlock switch and it's not going to do much when it thinks the door is open. If it closes completely but won't latch, did you try getting it to drain/spin while firmly holding the door closed? Moldy smell is usually from the door gaskets, where water remains in the folds and does not dry out.

Reply to
trader_4

Aha. Another advantage of top-loaders. No gaskets with folds.

Reply to
micky

I have a 5-year-old Whirlpool Duet front-loader with steam/sanitize cycle, no mold smell.

Reply to
devnull

I would not buy a front loader and got a Maytag top loader several years ago. Never liked the idea of a front loader having to rely on seals holding up. Like myself, everything that gets old, gets leaky ;)

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Bought a new machine about 7 weeks ago. Top loader, same as always.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Used to have top loaders but couldn't get the california king bed comforters and mattress pads in them...so we switched to a front-loader.

Reply to
Roger Wilco