Clothes Washers Recommendations

Any recommendations on good reliable clothes washers?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jay Stootzmann

Adjust the legs properly ........

-- Oren

Oren

It depends on what you want and what you want to pay.

I wanted a straight forward bread and butter model that I could work on myself. So, I bought a Whirlpool Direct Drive washer.

I treat it like a garbage disposal and it keeps on running.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

And the needs the person may have; say, like for an apartment.

-- Oren

Oren

Whatever brand you buy, buy a front loader. They get clothes cleaner with less water and less wear and tear on the clothes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Just remember that for the price of a front loader and matching dryer, you could buy three top load washers, and three dryers as well, and have an entire laundromat in your home. Yes, you save on water with a front loader, but you will pay and pay and pay for repairs.

Reply to
nospamtodd

I disagree. I have one of the original Maytag front loaders and although Consumer Reports says it has a lousy repair record, ours went 8 years before a repair. At year 5 Maytag did do a free enhancement to fix the mildew issue. The original Maytag front loaders are available at Lowes and/or Home Depot for around $550. If I was buying today I would probably get one. Several years ago my parents moved to the area and we gave them our Maytag. We bought the Sears/Whirlpool front loader to replace it because it is a big bigger which is nice for comforters however the Maytag seems less complicated and a better buy in my opinion.

Reply to
Art

I'm more concerned about reliability -- a basic top loader with dial/mechanical controls.

Consumers reports rated the Whirlpool 5540 as one of their best picks -- is that what you got?

Sounds perfect to me!

Reply to
Jay Stootzmann

Our recent machine (under warranty) had a bad digital board. Next time it might cost me $350.00. I like the old dials, simple for me. I left a very good machine in the old house and went with a new washer/dryer for the new home. No real regrets...

-- Oren

Oren

Now, now, now. Please don't bring in facts and anecdotal information from a true owner/consumer. What most people in this newsgroup thrive on is speculation, opinion, and wild stories based on NOT owning a product.

;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sure, and you can also buy 100 clothes beaters and a cast iron sink for the price of a good top-loader.

However, if your metric is how well clothes are washed, then, as mentioned in the GP, a front-loader will get them cleaner and wear them out less. This is not speculation, this is the difference I've observed going from a top to a front-loader with the same clothes. Except of course, I put more clothes in the front-loader per load. The lint filter is one indication of wear, and the collars of cleanliness. Every forum and every front-loader owner will back this up.

Also, remember, you don't have to buy a matching dryer. I believe all you need in a dryer is gentle-heat and preferably gas. Skimp on the dryer, get a better washer.

Reply to
Nexus7

Mine is a 5'6" brunette. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I have the Estate by Whirlpool TAWS800JQ1

It's the same as Whirlpool but $100 less for the same thing.

I got the house brand.

No regrets and I can take it apart and put it back together.

No $150 service calls for me on my $300 washer!!!!!!

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

If you have pets, the hair will clog due to insufficient water flow to clear the hose. No one will tell you that but Mrs. Clean will.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Please!

Don't forget the special HE detergent which is twice the cost of regular detergent.

Over the life time of the machine, you've been screwed over and over again never being kissed.

It's a pity, really. You should always be kissed when being screwed.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Not true. January's Consumer Reports compares HE and conventional detergents, there's no real difference in cost, they are almost all between $.10 and $.25 per load. We use Costco/Kirkland HE, which is a CR Best Buy, $.12 per load.

-- Dave

Reply to
dhinds

By the way, Consumer Reports just rated HE detergents and Gain HE beat Tide HE. It is available at Walmart. I bought 6 bottles because I hate shopping at Walmart. One trip is bad enuf so hopefully the Gain will last a year. I noticed after using Gain HE that the drain holes around the bottom of the rubber seal of my frontloader were cleaned so clearly it is better than tide HE which I had been using for years.

Reply to
Art

I found with Gain HE and Tide HE you can use half the recommended amount and clothes are always clean.

Reply to
Art

Never a problem with our hairy cat.

Reply to
Art

You're not supposed to wash your pets in the clothes washer.

I'm calling the SPCA!!

Reply to
Karl S