Front-loading versus top-loading washers?

Any suggestions, observations, or recommendations on the top-loading versus front-loading washing machines? I've heard that they're easier on clothes, use less soap and water, have a lower incidence of repairs, more reliable, etc. - I'm wondering whether the premium for the front-loaders are worth it. I'd be particularly interested in brand recommendations. BTW, I'm a single guy, living alone (most of the time, for now), so I'm not looking for something to handle the clothes washing requirements for a family of five. Thanks!

Reply to
No-Name

The consciences seems clear on the lower water usage, better cleaning and less damage to the clothing.

Repairs seem to be a question. Maytag, which has produced some very reliable top loaders, does not seem to have done as well with their front loader. They may have it fixed by now, but I would keep away from them. I have a top loader Maytag and really like it, but if it died today I would look for another brand front loader.

You may want to check out Consumer's Reports which has done a recent story on them. Read the whole story, not just the final ratings and you should learn a lot. They include reliability statistics. The library should have a copy.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Check out the board listed below for extensive discussion among owners of various machines.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

Choose anything else besides something with the name maytag on it.

Reply to
George

I recently converted to a front loader (Sears HE3), and have these observations:

  1. My clothes wear out just as fast.
  2. It uses MUCH less water.

Do next time: Get one with a heater. The fill is only about 10 gallons. Subtract the cold water in the line, and the heat lost to the internals of the washer and clothes, you end up with warm water even at the hot setting. To compensate, I ran a new 1/2" plastic line directly from the heater to the washer. =20

Disadvantage: Can't use it as a centrifuge as I did with the toploader. =20

Doug Warner

Too bad you live is such a small country. Many people live in a world where countries are just small divisions. I hope you don't work in an industry that relies on any international trade. It would indeed be difficult to live well without relying on other countries.

It seems you agree with Bush, he seems to think the rest of the world is only around to follow what the US tells them. At the way the US is going it will soon be all by itself.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you do full loads of laundry each and every time, no small loads, a front loader could be a good thing for you. If you are a fastidious launderer like my mother who likes to control the amount of water, the size of her load, etc., etc., don't bother. Front loaders are best for people who like to do a lot of laundry at one time, like me.

I gambled and went with the Frigidaire Gallery in April 2003 (this year!). It was half the price of the Maytags and the Kenmore/Whirlpool series, and it has served me well, paying off against the negative repair/usage reviews I read. I was not willing or able to pay the premium prices for the Maytag or the Kenmore/Whirlpool or the Bosch, but I really wanted to save water and energy, hence my decision. So far, no regrets, but I did buy a 5-year warranty on the thing because they do wear out and need expensive repairs.

I considered the Fisher Paykel washer, but it was more expensive than the Frigidaire by about $150 (money toward the dryer, bear in mind), and my patriotism took over. Hope this review helps.

FYI for anyone else who cares, I tried posting my review on Epinions and ran into a bunch of nitpicky people who wouldn't share my review unless it met some Pulitzer-standard level of writing quality, and so my review died because I just can't be bothered to spend that kind of time and energy. Geez!

Reply to
xymergy

Where did you hear that have less repairs and are reliable? No way. Not only do they break down more often, especially the Maytags, they are much more expensive to repair. Replacing the computer board, not that uncommon, can run $400-500. Getting one with a timer is probably a better bet.

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

We use a GE top load washer and front load dryer. They work o.k. The controls are not my favorite. One of my daughters has a Miele front load washer & dryer. She likes it a lot. It has been in use for a couple of years with no problem.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

I owned a Maytag front loader Neptune for 6 years. Just gave it to my parents who moved to the area and bought a Sears (Whirlpool) HE3T for myself. Both are excellent. The HE3T is a bit bigger. I would ignore reliability questions about the Maytag. Mine was no problem however at year 5 Maytag came thru with a free mildew upgrade and changed out the circuit board, front seal and inner door to rid complaints of mildew some people had. Few companies would upgrade a 5 year old washer for free. Meanwhile our first Sears had so many defects Sears took it away and gave us a new one. The pump was bad from day 1 and the cabinet pretty much fell apart from vibration problems. The replacement is fine.

Both are much nicer to own than a top loader and neither use a transmission which ususally break on top loaders.

Reply to
Art Begun

I'm afraid Frigidaire no longer makes the mechanical front load washer model "Westinghouse" was famous for which were around for 25+ years. But at least the current Frigidaire electronic controlled model has been on the market for close to 10 or so years. I do agree it is generally a good buy for the price.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~