LG washing machines to cost Americans more — gues s who’s to blame?

LG has announced it?s upping the price of washing machines in the United States, thanks to a new import tax imposed by President Trump.

The firm said the tariffs on front- and top-loading machines will be largely passed on to US consumers wishing to buy LG?s white goods (via Reuters).

Tariffs on the company will be 20% on the first 1.2 million machines imported into the US, while anything beyond that will be levied with a

50% charge.

Trump?s new War On Foreign Washing Machines is part of the same ruling likely to undermine the growth of the solar industry in the United States.

30% tariffs will be placed on imported solar panels, largely from China, which has led to predictions that 26,000 jobs in the US could be at risk (via CNN).

?This reckless decision will threaten tens of thousands of American jobs and hurt our climate,? said Howard Crystal, a lawyer for the Center for Biological Diversity.

Bod

Only lazy welfare democrats that refuse to work and support themselves would be against this tariff.

Reply to
taxPAYER

he United States, thanks to a new import tax imposed by President Trump.

rgely passed on to US consumers wishing to buy LG?s white goods (vi a Reuters).

ported into the US, while anything beyond that will be levied with a 50% ch arge.

ruling likely to undermine the growth of the solar industry in the United States.

, which has led to predictions that 26,000 jobs in the US could be at risk (via CNN).

ican jobs and hurt our climate,? said Howard Crystal, a lawyer for the Center for Biological Diversity.

uld be against this tariff.

I see, so you like to pay an extra $100 or $200 for a washing machine eh? W e all know you trumpets would be the first to complain about items costing more. And in the case of the solar tariffs, raising the panel price 30 per cent kills more jobs installing them, saves few jobs making them because 95 % are made overseas, and it raises the cost to consumers. But hey, Trump di d it, so it must be right because Trump is always right, never lies, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

The interesting point here is, there are no tariffs being applied to shoes, shirts, ties, jewelry, you know, all of those items that have the "Trump" name and are made overseas.

"Very Interesting" -Wilhelm von Nord Bach (Arte Johnson) Laugh-in

Reply to
Dove Tail

No great loss - my LG front load washer takes 1 hour 15 minutes for an average load ; the clothes aren't completely wet until about

12 minutes into the ordeal ; the "lint filter" catches zero lint and only serves to provides a sump for water to sit and become stinky. Its one good point is the high speed spin. If it's anything like Samsung - the electronics will fail at 5 years and cost more than the machine is worth to repair. I wish a USA manufacturer would build a non-electronic front loader

- watch the grey-haired customers line up ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

The Speedqueen FR3

Dove Tail

Thanks for the link - I might be travelling to USA for my next washer ! ... seriously - unless a Canadian distributer gets smart and starts to import it. Before buying the LG - after exhaustive search - the only one I could find in my part of Canada was a Huebsch at almost $ 3,000.00 John T.

Reply to
hubops

You are welcome, my pleasure.

I too am not fond of microprocessor controls on modern appliances. I installed a whole house surge suppressor to try and prevent damage to these system.

I also don't like the front loading washers, they seem to use less water and the clothes don't seem to get as clean as with the top loaders.

Last time I knew I was going to need a washer, I went to Craigslist and waited for an older, mechanical control Maytag to come up. I got really lucky, someone was selling one from a storage unit that hadn't been used in years. It was more than 30 years old and in perfect condition, got it for $25, brought it home and it has been running great for five years now. Didn't even need to replace the belt.

Reply to
Dove Tail

When buying small-ticket items, the vast majority of people buy the cheapest product on the rack.  Later, when they lose their job to a foreign worker, they blame the president for that too.

Reply to
Bob Cobb

What's your point? Does it in anyway relate to the fact Trump hasn't implemented tariffs on the junk that he and his family import and sell under their name?

Reply to
Dove Tail

Ivanka should add these bracelets to her collection, she, her husband and father will be wearing them very soon.

:-)

Reply to
Dove Tail

He needs to go back to saving spotted owl habitat. But to get back to the title, LG and Samsung have been playing whack-a-mole for years and undercutting US manufacturers like Maytag and GE. It's time to protect and rebuild US industries. Estimates are a protective tariff on washing machines might raise prices up to 15%, say $120 on a $800 machine. Considering most people don't buy one every year and the life expectancy is about 12 years, that's $10 a year to bring back US manufacturing jobs.

Yeah, I know the American way is to look out for number one and the hell with the nation. MAGA, unless it costs me a few bucks. Stop illegal immigration unless you're talking about that guy who mows my lawn.

Of course, with a 'propositional' nation there is little incentive to give a damn.

Reply to
rbowman

The conservatives, who are conservative up to the point of saving a few bucks on a washing machine, will be against it too.

Reply to
rbowman

It's like H1B visas. During the campaign, Trump was for them one day, against them the next, because they take American jobs. The only consistent thing was that he imports H1B visa workers for his properties. He says he can't find American workers, so it's OK.

Did you see parts of what Trump said in Davos? It was all about him, trying to take credit for everything he could. And he was very creative, as usual. For example, he had statistics on jobs created, saying since I was elected, 2.6 mil new jobs have been created. So, he added in all the jobs created under Obama from Nov thru Jan. The truth is that slightly more jobs were created in 2016 under Obama than in 2017 under Trump. He claimed his tax cuts were the first since Reagan, a lie. He claimed his tax cuts were the biggest, another lie. His speech was about me, me, me, look at the great things I'm trying to take credit for.

And the trumpets claim he;s produced a booming economy. Yet we just got th e Q4 GDP number, it's 2.6%. That's decent, but nothing exceptional. Obama had many quarters with similar growth. The only thing that's changed is when it was 2.6% under Obama, it was a disaster, a recession, while under Trump it's amazing, tremendous, making America great again!

Reply to
trader_4

Precisely, although even if you aren't looking for the cheapest item you still may not be keeping a US worker in a job. REI isn't known for their bargain prices but you have to look long and hard to walk out with something made in the US. I switched to Red Wing boots but you even have to do your research with those; not every one of their products are made in the US.

Reply to
rbowman

I simply do not understand how a person can be president of the United States, a self-declared billionaire and still be the most insecure person on the planet.

It boggles the mind.

Reply to
Dove Tail

It's simple really, it's a mental disorder. How about anorexics that look in the mirror and don't see a 90 lb emaciated body, but instead someone who is overweight?

Reply to
trader_4

But will it? Remember when Toyota was selling above sticker price because people wanted them? Will increasing the cost of LG get people to buy Maytag and add jobs in Mexico: Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua?

I don't think it will make a lot of difference in the end and won't create jobs. I'd classify it as more of a publicity stunt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have no idea. All I know about washing machines comes from periodic trips to the laundromat. I dimly recall buying a used one when I was married but that was a long time ago.

Reply to
rbowman

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. In a country that is actually doing fairly well, some think very well, he still gets 85% negative press.

Reply to
gfretwell