Tainted drinking water (warning) (OT) Biology person needed.

Just given up on my Maytag side by side fridge freezer because of numerous design and quality related faults (including tainted drinking water) becoming apparent this summer and needing an alternative source of chilled purified drinking water bought one of these :

After the first few days we noticed a tainted mouldy smell from the upper (input) reservoir, although the filtered water still tasted OK. the water in there was noticeably warm, about the same as a heated swimming pool it measured 82F. Room temp is about 72F. It is getting heated by waste heat from the peltier cooler unit below it. I feel it can't be safe to store drinking water in an open container for up to four weeks (the life of a cartridge) at 82F, simply topping it up to replenish continuously what has been used, (there is a warning in the manual about flushing it after a period without use), and also wonder if the activated charcoal cartridge (which is open to the reservoir) is removing the chlorine which the water company adds to the water to make it safe to drink. Environmental Health websites recommend storing cold water below 68F to avoid growing Legionella. 8-((

We have now had an incident of two members of the household suffering stomach upset and diffuse allergy symptoms (upset stomach, itchy skin and hives). Nobody will drink the water from it now so it's going back

Does anybody know, could this be a serious enough health hazard to be worth taking up with somebody like trading standards ?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Probably not the waters fault but it isn't a particularly bright design. If you simply put tap water in a clean jug in the fridge for an hour or so you achieve the same effect as a Brita (or any similar) filter except for the softening it gives.

No it isn't.

If you are particularly paranoid about water consider getting one of these and simply keeping it in the fridge. It doesn't filter anything until you use it to produce clean water.

does work, very effectively.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Hi,

I just fill a glass jug (=A31.49) of water and leave it for the chlorine to diffuse out.

Also use it to fill the coffee machine, kettle and rinse around the sink, so the water in it doesn't hang around too long.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not fit for purpose, IMHO.

Water goes off as fast as milk. There are lots of bugs in it, in small quantities. Give them a favourable temperature and they'll start to multiply. You'll also get other airborne bugs drifting in. Legionella is the one that happens to be the best documented.

Alternatively, dr> If you are particularly paranoid about water consider getting one of

Interesting. It's a filter, it will remove suspended solids and bugs. It won't affect dissolved contaminants.

Reply to
Onetap

Glad you agree , it's going back.

Tho' in non "Cravendale" milk the bugs get a running start.

That's fine by me.

However SWMBO keeps crowing on about something called "Parfait Amour" would that work as well ?

Yebbut, bugger the water bottle it's the uniform I'd like. It's how you keep it neatly ironed and pressed in the battlefield up to your neck in muck and bullets that puzzles me.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Don't use the word "Cravendale" next to milk - it's an abomination. Grrr. The watneys red barrel of cow juice.

(and I live in Craven, in the dales...)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It really surprises (and annoys me) that the public can be so duped. The UK water utilities have to supply potable water to our taps to a higher standard than bottled water - despite the fact that the bulk of it is used for washing, the loo, etc. Having said that, the infrastructure is in place.

Over the Pond to the Left of us, unless they can taste chlorine in the water, they are concerned that it is not safe. If you are concerned about the chlorine do as other posters have suggested, put a jug in the fridge for a few hours. Using "magic gadgets to clean tha potable supply that has been produced at great expense will foul the water that you want. Any filters or other gizmos just invites primordial monsters to grow in them and perhaps cause the issues you've faced.

Reply to
clot

Well we have had one of these for 7 years and it does *Exactly* what it says.

before anyone says anything the water does lose it's chlorinated flavour when using it and results in an altogether better "tastes" than straight of the tap (NW Kent UK.....Medium hard water chlorinated)

In message , Onetap wrote

Boiling the water in the brewing process killed the bugs. Beer still can still go 'off' very quickly despite the alcohol

Reply to
Alan

Can't say as I'm surprised. Their washing machines are laughable, too.

Reply to
Huge

Some vague memory is stirring in the back of my mind that Maytag is more or less the same as Whirlpool, another Philips cheap and cheerless brand.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not "more or less", they *are* Whirlpool.

my parents emigrated to the USA in 1978 (or so), they went to buy a washing machine and were shown a "top of the range" machine - a top-loading Maytag. They laughed, and thought the salesman was winding them up because they were immigrants with funny accents (although my father was a US citizen, not that you could have told from his appearance & accent). Then they discovered he wasn't kidding; American washing machine technology is 20-30 years behind that in Europe.

If you want a *real* laugh, have a look at this;

top-loading washing machine with a tumble drier stacked on top of it. And lest anyone think this is because my story is 30 years old, these machines are still on sale in the US and my mother has a stacker just like the above in her laundry room to this day. You can now buy Bosch front-loaders there, but as the salesman said "try getting them repaired..."

OTOH, I'm having an American 'frig the next time we re-do the kitchen.

BTW, the Anchor Brewery, maker of Anchor Steam Beer, in San Francisco is owned by a member of the Maytag family, so they aren't all bad!

Huge

US still uses top loaders mostly. we laugh at them for their gross inefficiency and outdated technology, and they laugh at us for buying machines that only take 5kg of washing at a time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What are you trying to achieve? If you want clean water, the tap provides the cleanest water you'll find. If you want dechlorinated, just let it sit for an hour with a loose cover on it so the Cl2 diffuses out. If you want chilled, fridge it in a jug. Whatever you do with water, keep it covered and wash the container frequently, preferably every 2 or 3 days. I cant think of any product that will really improve on it without introducing more problems.

NT

Reply to
meow2222