Maytag Neptune Washer

How do I replace the mesh cup that comes with washer? I've had it for 6 years and have never done any maintenance on it. I washed a couple of blankets and now the thing won't spin. The clothes are soaking wet!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions, please?

LP

Reply to
Lady Pilot

First thing to check for is the door lock light. If the door is not locking, the washer will not spin. This is assuming you have a front loading machine. If the door is not locking, the problem is likely the motor which locks the door (the wax motor) has malfunctioned. When this happens, it takes out the control board. Assuming this has happened, you will need to replace the wax motor and the control board. Apparently, there have been several of these types of problems and there is a settlement Maytag has worked out. I don't know the web site address, but you should be able to pull this info up with just about any search engine. If you decide to replace the parts yourself, you are looking at about $212. There are also some sites that tell you how to replace the resisters on the board, but if you don't know how to saughter or don't feel comfortable doing this, I would not even atempt it. It is cheaper, but one screw up and you will have to replace the board anyway. Hope this helps.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Hecker

Thanks, Shane. Yes, it's a front loading washer. I didn't notice if the door light came on, just recycled the load through the spin and they came out soaking wet. I will look up the info you gave me first thing in the morning.

Many thanks for your help!

LP

Reply to
Lady Pilot

Reply to
Italian

It's called research. I've never repaired one personally, well take that back. I did upgrade the drain pump in my washer recently and now the pump is a bit louder. But hey, what do you expect when you upgrade from a 40 watt unit to an 80 watt unit (which is the only pump Maytag now has for this washer)? . Anyway, the reason I know about the door is because I've done research on the net. My machine is approaching 6 and a half years old and it hasn't had this problem yet, and hopefully won't. Based on research I've done, many of the machines that are having problems are between 4 to 7 years old. As for quality, the Maytags are very good. My parents had one that lasted 20 years. When it finally went, the bottom was rusted out, it was leaking, and the drain pump quit working. I don't know if it was true back then, but you could almost build the neptune washer from scratch, based on the parts I've seen sold for these things. One final note, you may get some folks telling you to buy a new washer, don't bother with the Maytag, it's a lemon, you'll never get it working properly, yada yada yada. I can't speak for everyone else, but except for some repairs covered by the settlement, mine was and still is working just fine.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Hecker

Thanks Shane and Italian for your comments.

Another thing I was wondering about was when I got my Maytag Neptune washer, it came with a small cup like filter. I still have it and don't have a clue in the world what to do with it. When I washed those blankets the other day, they had a lot of lint and I thought maybe I could replace this filter, if I had some clue where to replace it...

Does anyone have any ideas?

LP

Reply to
Lady Pilot

Get the model number of your washer and go here to look at parts for it. There'll be a description.

Abe

For the life of me I can't guess what part is being referred to by "mesh cup."

Reply to
nospamtodd

The only cup that I know of that comes with the washer is a siphon cup, the one that is used for the bleach and softener dispenser. I've never heard of or seen a mesh cup.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Hecker