MAYTAG Bravos HE clothes washer transmission oil leak oil.

MAYTAG model # MVWX500XLO ; High Efficiency top load washer; s/n C03430508 . Slightly less than 4 years old just had an awful oil smell on the most recent run. I looked under and there is oil leaking onto the sound deadening pad under the washer. It is difficult to tell where it came from due to the showd and belt drive cover slinging the oil onto that entire area. It looks and smells like a transmission oil. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I let it finish the run since the smell started during the high speed spin and it was almost done but did not run it any more after that. Is it worth fixing? It is out of all warranties except the drum and Motor are warranted for 10 years.

Reply to
Kugiej

Kug,

Oh well. There's only one source for the lubricant that you see, the transmission. A new one is more than $200. There are plenty of YouTube videos that can guide you on replacing a transmission. It's a major job so figure on 3 hrs. You may need a special spanner wrench from the rental place. This is doable for many people I doubt you'll find transmission parts on-line but you may be able to dismantle the transmission, find the bad seal and replace it. Depends on how handy you are.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Kugiej posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I would call Maytag and ask if they would give you any kind of consideration. Four years seems like a very short lifespan, even in this day... Maybe they have a secret recall?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I would check on that warantee Kugie. If that is the old orbital style transmission, it used to be guaranteed for much longer. If I recall correctly, it was at least a 10 year warranty on the transmission.

If you need a new transmission, I would contact Dasa Manufacturing in Ontario. They rebuild washing transmissions. If you don't live in Canada, Dasa would probably know who does the same kind of rebuilds in the USA.

'DASA Manufacturing Ltd.'

I've used their rebuilt transmissions before and they seem to be as good as the OEM part, or at least that's been my experience. They're also considerably less expensive than the OEM parts.

Also, you should be aware that if this is a Maytag orbital transmission, there are two different kinds; the "short" transmission and the "long" transmission. The difference is in the length of one of the shafts on each side of the orbital transmission housing. Make sure you order the kind you need. Best to take a picture of the existing transmission and take it down to any Maytag repair depot and they should be able to identify what kind it is for you.

Reply to
nestork

Thanks Dave. You were right of course. It was the bottom seal of the trans. The gearcase, as Maytag calls it, looks like it was assembled and then welded together. No visible way to dismantle or get the seal out except maybe a sawzall. I managed to find the new unit, plus a belt and sound deadening pad for a little over $200. Took me 5 hours due to cleaning every nook and cranny with a tooth brush while apart. I did need a gear puller to get the driven hub and the drive block off the trans shaft due to galvanic corrosion. They also seemed welded together. Fairly big job indeed. Still at a $500 savings compared to a similar new washer at the best sale price, I figure I made more than ever previously; @ $100/hour for this repair :) I am just hoping for at least another 3.5 years now. Replacement transmission had been changed to an improved design so I can only hope. Different p/n and it did look slightly different externally. I am still just a little disappointed in "Maytag Commercial Technology" getting me only 3.5 years on the original but I am not sure anyone else is any better. It has done about 25 loads since the overhaul and all is as it was when new, maybe even a little better.

Reply to
Kugiej

Technology"

I wish I had done what you did with my washer, instead of going with the "new improved" low water one.

Reply to
Guv Bob

My maytag lasted one year!! Then the bearing went. Maytag said bearing not covered under 10 year warranty. Extremely disappointed, only two of us in house

Reply to
Mimi

My story is word for word identical to yours. When I contacted Maytag to see if they might allow me some "consideration", they sent a reply of "how to care for my washer". $750.00 for 3 years of service. Everything is built to fail anymore

Reply to
Sad