What type of oil to use on Old Maytag Wringer Washer

I just got an old Maytag Wringer washer which I intend to use for stuff like oily rags and horse blankets, etc. (Stuff I dont want to put in my regular washer). This machine is called the Maytag Gyratator and if I'm reading it right, the (worn) model# is E2L.

Anyhow, when I brought it home, I laid it in it's side in my truck, with the wringer removed. I left it in the truck over night, and found the next day that some oil drained out where the shaft comes up to the wringer.

The machine works, but I think I should replace the oil that was lost. It appears all I have to do is pour it in there the wringer shaft sits (with wringer removed). But I'm not sure what kind of oil to use. It seems thicker than regular 10W30 / 10w40 motor oil. Since it goes in the transmission, I'd suspect it to be a gear lube, but I'm not sure.... Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

More than likely 90 weight gear oil.

Pretty sure that's what I used with the transmission on my TR-3

Reply to
philo

Jerry,

Have you tried Maytag? If they don't know I'd buy some 85 or 90w gear oil.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

how many quarts does it take to put oil in a maytag wringer washer

Reply to
royanddebbie38

It should be in the owner's manual. Don't you have it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The clay tablet with the runes got wet and is now unreadable.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Round or square tub? The square tub will hold 18 gallons but why would you want to fill a washing machine with oil?

Reply to
rbowman

generally a lot of OLD machines had a "fill level" plug - you filled 'till oil came out the hole then pit the plug in, but I THINK the gearbox was initially packed with NLGI-2 grease - with age it breaks down to oil and "soap" - and the oil can leak out where the crease would not. #2 grease is almost the consistancy of peanut butter - and like (non homogenized)peanut butter the oil separates out

Assuming it WAS grease, Lucas Red 'n Tacky EP2 would likely be as good as any but the box needs to come apart and be cleaned of all the "soap" left in the box - you may need to almost chip it out.You will likely need to find or make a new gasket too.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Super Lube 41160 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 14.1 oz Canister, Translucent White

Reply to
Superman007