what to do with leftover fuel oil?

if I switch from an oil fired boiler to natural gas, what do I do with the fuel oil that is still in the tank in the cellar? Thanks.

Reply to
Tom

Sell it on CL.

Reply to
mike

If there's any quantity to speak of the distributor will take it.

If not, drain/empty it into 5-gal pail(s) and give/sell it to a neighbor who still uses oil.

--

Reply to
dpb

Advertise it on Craigs List. There are people who will come and take it for you. They might even pay you a small amount of money, but don't count on that. If you call an oil company to come get it, it will cost you more than you ever imagined. They will treat it as a hazardous waste cleanup.

Reply to
salty

use it up before you change over.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Isn't residential fuel oil that same as Diesel fuel ... without the motor fuel tax and some additives?

Reply to
Art Todesco

I'll give you 25 cents a gallon (DELIVERED).

Reply to
yes_yes_yes

Basically Yes. Diesels can run on almost any heavy oil, including biofuels, and you're right about the taxes.

Reply to
willshak

=3D=3D Whatever you do, don't sell it to some swarthy individual with an Arabic accent and who drives a half-ton loaded with fertilizer. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Yes, do not try to use it in your diesel car or truck as that is illegal (transportation fuel taxes) and also a problem for 2007 or newer diesels that require ULSD fuel.

You can use it in your diesel generator, diesel tractor, diesel torpedo heater or of course an oil furnace in a different house.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hmm, I thought there was some way of paying the taxes and making it all legal?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Frankly if I had an older diesel car or truck I'd just use it. How are they going to catch you?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The smell. Oh wait, that's waste veggie oil :-) It does seem extremely low-risk, but I'm still curious as to what the 'official' routes are. I'm sure I once read that there was a 'proper' way of declaring it (in the US) but I forget the details now.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, and it's a different color so the road police can see the different color if you put it in a diesel vehicle.

Off road (think farm tractor) is legal to use. Too stinky for indoor kerosene heaters. Works find in diesel engines like generators.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Different color. I kind of doubt it's possible to make it legal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, just use it in a diesel truck. Of course, you can send those taxes to the state later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It has red dye in it for home heating. Chances of getting caught are just about nil unless you are buying hundreds of gallons in a storage tank.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dark of night, 5 gallon bucket or pump/hose,sewer...

Reply to
Richard Blaine

Tom wrote in news:hog57t$k82$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Use it for breakfast in place of orange juice.

Reply to
Stepfann King

We left ours in the basement. We had to hire a fuel company to come in and remove the tank when we sold though, so it wasn't such a good idea.

Reply to
krw