does old heating fuel oil go bad?

I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it? Thanks, Tony

I would. I'd also use it.
Not exactly high grade gasoline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_oil
nb
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:27:00 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The oil should be fine. Your furnace should have a filter, which you should change yearly.

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the right additive package.
On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:24:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Algi - not fungus.
On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 20:17:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Some kind of living stuff that plugs filters. It is common in boats. I assume any warm humid place would do it tho.
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 9:42:50 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It also depends on what conditions the tank was exposed to. An underground tank or a tank in a basement would be preferable to one that's above ground, exposed to wide temp swings, causing condensation, etc. A full tank is better than a mostly empty one. I'd probably draw some and examine it.
On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:24:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.
On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:53:57 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It will plug the filters and if you don't filter it will plug the jet orifice.
On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 21:38:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That makes sense.... But I'd think they probably have the additives in the oil to prevent that from happening.
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 10:02:21 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wro te:

In the 90s I was part of a project to dig up old underground heating oil st orage tanks and replace them with modern up to code tanks.
The oil I pumped out of the old tanks was pretty good even though it had be en unused for many years.
A few years later some of the new tanks needed replacement, and we pumped t he new oil. These tanks had a foot of jelly in the bottom. The experts to ld us the formulation of heating oil had changed and they now grew some kin d of bacterial growth that didn't happen before.

Not all old fuel oil is bad but most bad fuel oil is old.
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the info. Looks like it should be fine as long as I don't dredge-up the bottom muck.
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 06:48:23 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Filter it as you withdraw it from the tank and when the filter plugs, you are done.
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

...and of course change filters & nozzles.
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:27:00 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a few dozen gallons that my Dad got mixed up with gasoline. I mean, he confused it with gasoline, and so he mixed it up with 2-stroke engine oil.
I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use, other than producing inordinate amounts of white smoke.
On 11/8/2016 4:59 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

My father got fuel oil in his 1950 Chevy. He had to clean the fuel filter a couple of times at first, but once diluted it ran. Diluted enough it will run in a gas engine.

a 40:1 mix with 2 stroke oil should burn just fine in a furnace.
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 3:59:34 PM UTC-6, Mike Duffy wrote:

Works as good as Round-up for edging your fence, if you don't get caught.

If it needs anything, some type 1 kerosene might loosen it up. A little alcohol is used to condition kerosene. Some burners do either type 1 or 2.
Greg