Coleman fuel

I found a quart can of Coleman fuel in my basement. It's been many years since I used my old backbacking stove, so this stuff must have been sitting on the shelf for a long time. The can is labeled "Peak 1 Model 8555-300 - Fuel for gasoline backpacking appliances." I can't find any reference to this model number on the 'net. The can has no indication of what the actual composition of the fuel is, whether it's naptha, gasoline, "white gas", or whatever. The warnings on the back of the can include, "Do not use this fuel as a fire starter, for cleaning purposes, or in kerosene, alcohol, or lamp oil appliances" and "Handle with the same care as gasoline." I don't know how I'd get rid of this stuff if I wanted to - throwing it in the trash would not be not a good idea and is probably illegal. So, I'm wondering what else I can do with it.
Suggestions? Can this be substituted for regular gasoline? That is, can I dump it into my lawn mower or car without ill effects?
On 9/6/2018 8:37 PM, Nil wrote:

It is naptha. You can use it in the lawnmower but since gas has additives, I'd mix it so you have the benefits of the additives if needed.
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 20:37:20 -0400, Nil

Short answer, no This came up in the 70s when gas was hard to come by and it was never advised as something to do, I suppose if you used it a pint a tankful you might away with it tho. This is more like naphtha than gas.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

FWIW, I used unleaded gas in a Coleman stove a long time ago. It seemed to work fine. Maybe the Coleman product burns cleaner due to fewer additives?

I've run the stuff in a lawnmower engine. I'd mix it about 25% with unleaded gasoline
On 9/6/2018 8:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

W/ an engine that's never run leaded, probably ok, years ago in days before unleaded neighbor borrowed my lawnmower and dumped a bunch of Coleman fuel in it...it dissolved all the lead accumulated deposits and completely coated the inner workings with the remnants--trashed the engine completely.
Even w/ new I'd dilute it 10:1 or greater to get rid of it.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 21:24:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

On a sort of related note, does anyone know what should be done with a few tankfuls of fuel oil which have been mixed with 2-stroke oil?
(During the last few years before my Dad was 'put into' a home, he made a few such mistakes.)

just burn it.50:1 2 stroke oil in fuel oil (furnace or diesel) isn't going to hurt anything
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 23:19:20 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

I'm a bit leary about soot build-up in the flue, or fouling the ignitor.
On 9/7/2018 12:06 AM, Mike_Duffy wrote:

Not a real concern, especially if well diluted in the oil tank.

I think this will be my solution. I'll just dump a few ounces of it in my mower and car when filling the tank until the stuff is used up.
alt.home.repair:

I used an Optimus camp stove for decades and I always ran it on unleaded gas. I had to clean out the pinhole spout occasionally, but it never failed me. I have a newer, lighter, more modern stove now, not Coleman brand, I think. That must be what I bought the fuel for, though I don't remember actually doing that.
My backpacking days are probably over, and if they're not I'll get some fresh fuel at that time. This can's gotta go.
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 20:37:20 -0400, Nil

Why throw it in the trash. Give it to someone, sell it for 50 cents at a rummage sale, or whatever. People still use it.
But yes, it's naptha, and naptha is a great octane booster. The old racing cars in the 1950s thru 70s used it to boost power. I know this for fact. In the late 70's I acquired about 5 gallons of it. My early 70's Chevy had a carburetor and I was told it was safe to use on that engine. I added a half gallon of the naptha to 10 gallons of gas, and I was impressed by the extra power I got. It also did a good job of cleaning out the bore in my carb, and I suspect it cleaned the whole engine and fuel system.
I am not sure what it would do to a modern fuel injected computerized engine, so I would hesitate to try it, But if I had an old car with a carb, I'd use it without worry.
You only have a quart, Add about 2 ounces to a gallon of gas for your lawnmower and seee if the mower goes faster....
If i see a lawn mower flying across the horizon, with a tail of flame in back, I'll know you added the whole quart and went airborne. :)
Naptha is also a good solvent for some oil based paints as well as a paintbrush cleaner for them.

Also makes a good metal cleaner for some things including electrical parts.
Greg
On 9/6/18 8:37 PM, Nil wrote:

Chuck it, unless you're a gambling man ;-)
--
A gun is a lot like a parachute. If you need one and don’t have one,
you’ll probably never need one again.

My town holds a few hazardous waste disposal day in October. If I haven't disposed of it by then I'll take it there, along with some other nasty stuff I have hanging around like old paint and obsolete anti-freeze.
On 9/7/2018 1:45 PM, Nil wrote:

Why waste these things?
Naphtha can be added to any gasoline based product if diluted or used as paint thinner or brush cleaner. I've even used it to make Ed's Red gun cleaner.
I never heard of obsolete antifreeze. Even saved used could be used in the winter to help prevent drain traps freezing.

It's Dexcool. It can't be mixed with regular antifreeze and I don't have that car any more.
I've never needed to prevent drain traps from freezing.
On 9/7/2018 2:33 PM, Nil wrote:

I have friends that do it at their hunting camp and house went left for a few months in the winter.
Dex Cool is mostly ethylene glycol with a few percent of another additive. Could be safely washed down the drain.
On 9/7/2018 5:25 PM, Frank wrote: ...

Absolutely not!!! as a general rule. Most jurisdiction will flat-out prohibit any such thing.