Ridge vent buckled and loose

Something else I noticed on my "house-built-by-idiots" is that my ridge vents look bad. They are buckled and not tight against the roof. Also it is run over gable areas where I think it simply can't fit correctly. What is the proper way to terminate a run of ridge vent?

Reply to
Davej

  If you want it done right ... my next step is finishing sheetrock - starting with the ceiling . Got a brand new set of drywall stilts , just need to learn how to use 'em without breaking any bones . BTW , I went with ribbed steel roofing , automatic ridge venting . I also used some "shingle saver" molded foam trays at the soffit for convection intakes .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Usually it runs to the ends of the roof, with cap shingles over top. The last two feet or so, where it extends over the roof edges, there is no slot cut in the roof. Is this the rigid kind or the kind that comes on rolls and looks like the filter stuff they use in window air conditioners? IMO, the rigid is the only one I'd use. And if it's installed right it shouldn't be buckled.

Reply to
trader_4

Does ridge vent last as long as a roof? This may be original work which would be 18 years old. Ridge vent is plastic... maybe I simply need to replace it? Roof is 18 and may last another 3-5 years.

Reply to
Davej

Yes, it should last the life of the roof. Can you tell if it's actually deformed or did it just come loose? Since it's deformed, I assume it's the rigid kind. It's not hard to replace, can be DIY. You just remove the cap shingles and vent, then replace with new. I used Shingle Vent II on mine. They have a design which is supposed to use any breeze to create additional suction to move the air out. I think HD carries them.

Whether it's worth fixing on a roof that only has 5 years left though is questionable, I can't see how bad it is. Are you basing the 5 years on the actual condition? Many roofs can go 25 to 30.

Reply to
trader_4

If it's plastic, you're lucky it lasted that long. Plastic decays from sunlight. Some more than others, but they all do. Thats the same reason that vinyl siding gets deformed and buckled over time. I make a point of not using any plastic on the exterior of my home.

Reply to
Bud

Maybe that's why ridge vent is covered with cap shingles?

Reply to
trader_4

On Sat 08 Sep 2018 01:52:36p, told us...

Really good quality vinyl siding with proper installation can last for decades and still look good. Unfortunately there is also cheap vinyl siding and poor installers. A couple of years ago I went back to visit where I lived 30 years ago in a house with vinyl siding. The roof had since been replaced, but the siding didn't need it and it still looked good.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If they built houses on their side, the siding would get more sunlight and wear out faster, but the roof would last longer.

Reply to
micky

On Sat 08 Sep 2018 04:10:25p, micky told us...

The house I referred to had a 30-year asphault shingle roof. It lasted about 30 years. I've seen numerous houses where the vinyl siding was buckled, but I attribute that to poor quality and workmanship. We watched much of the siding on that house being installed, and it was obvious it was done with precision and care. It was also a much heavier grade of siding than one usually sees. They also used some really good special surrounds for things like side vents, exterior lighting fixtures, electrical boxes, cable entrances, etc. All in all, a very nice job.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright