Venting bathroom fan through the ridge vent

In the process of replacing my upstairs bathroon fan, I found that it was venting into the attic. Since the fan is directly underneath the ridge, I'm wondering if there's any reason that I shouldn't vent it out through the ridge vent?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Shapp snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Mike Shapp

Not sure and hopefully someone else will chime in, but I think that would defeat the purpose of having the moist air:

a) contained, in piping, on its path from the bath to the outdoors b) not coming into contact with anything that could mold or rot along the way to exiting the structure - only metal and plastic.

If you just run it up near the ridge vent, mold would ensue. If you could get it beyond the ridge vent - have the exit tibe go thru the ridge vent and project outside, that seems ok. Not sure which you meant.

Reply to
roger61611

Reply to
buffalobill

No, you should never vent into your attic.

Can I suggest that you buy a soffit vent kit for your bathroom exhaust. Simply ask the fellow at your local building supply store for one, explain what you want to do. You can run the piping along the ceiling joists to the soffit.

Depending on your climate you may need to run an insulated exhaust vent pipe pitched towards the vent. In colder climate warm moist air from the bathroom can easily condense in the pipe and if it does you want it to run out the vent.

My soffits aren't long enough for a soffit exhaust vent otherwise I'd use one.

Handi

Reply to
Handi