Any experience with Coleman Powermate cordless tools?

Pep boys recently advertised a set of "coleman powermate" tools for very cheap ($99 for an 18 volt kit including drill, recip saw, small circular saw, and light and 2 batteries).

Does any one have experience with this brand of tool? They carry a 2 year warranty so I might give them a shot but would like to know if anyone else has tried them.

Reply to
Dave

Looked at them and put them back on the shelf. They may be OK for the homeowner that will use them once every six months, but they look kind of cheesy to me. If you look at comparable sets from the pro tool makers, they run closer to $500 to $600. Depends on your needs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought the drill for $25. They wanted $30 for an extra battery, I was almost gionna do it when my young daughter says, "Just buy another drill daddy". Brilliant kid. Anyway, I just bough the one drill. It was obviously straight off the boat from China, real rough finish.

The tooless chuck had a tight spot. I' figured this would wear in over time and get better. However, it just got worse and worse until it locked up and I could turn it at all.

Kragens Auto gave me a new one for the asking and it continues to work but you get what you pay for.

Also, the weak little charger takes about 24 hrs (per the manual) to do a full charge on the battery.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

"Buck" from work uses a Coleman cordless drill. It seems to work for him, but I don't think he aspires to greatness if you know what I mean.

I'd probably go with Ryobi before Coleman.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Sorry for the delayed response, but I did buy this set and I am sorry I wasted my money. The battery does not hold a charge as long as my Bosch or Panasonic, the circular saw poops out after cutting through a couple of

2x4's and the recip is very weak also. The light is OK, but if you are looking for rugged tools, look elsewhere. Matt
Reply to
Matt Zack