18v Cordless-combo Showdown: Ryobi v. B&D

It seems like every time I walk into a borg they've further marked down the 18v combo packs for these two brands. I've been scouting Dewalt, Milwaukee, PC and Ridgid for some time now, but at the prices I've been seeing I'm beginning to waiver a bit.

Given the same price, would you prefer the 18v Ryobi drill or the 18v B&D Firestorm drill?

TIA.

JP

FYI.....

The Ryobi 18v "The Works" combo kit comes with: drill reciprocating saw circular saw chainsaw sonic measuring device wet\dry vac jigsaw flashlight carrying bag

2 batteries 1 hour charger and also includes 41 assorted accessories (bits and such)

Total price - $249

The Black & Decker 18-Volt 7-Tool Combo Kit includes: Workmate 375 (workbench thingy) Power Pack tool bag FireStorm 18 Volt Drill

18 Volt Circular Saw 18 Volt Cut Saw 18 Volt Vacuum 18 Volt Work Light Bulls Eye Laser Level & Stud Finder 2 18 Volt batteries charger

Total price $269

Reply to
Jay Pique

from what I've read (magazines), the Ryobi cordless drill is much better than the B&D you will last longer with one charge....

Reply to
Mike

Jay -

I got stuck in a situation and *needed* a drill rightaway and couldn't get to my DeWalt... I went to K-Mart and got the Firestorm.... I couldn't even drill a dozen holes and drive a dozen screws in PINE, without running out of power, for god sakes. I don't know if the batteries were faulty, but neither one of the two that came with the drill was worth a darn, and I

*tried* to fall in love with the damn thing for a week. And yes, I *did* follow all the instructions and properly charge the batteries.

I took it back, got a refund and recovered my DeWalt. It's STILL going after 4 years of almost daily use/abuse and the batteries are holding up just fine. You might be able to get a better deal on a 12v setup - they are far lighter than the 18 v units and easier to handle as well. I've never run into a situation where my 12v drill didn't have the umph I needed - at least for woodworking and furniture making. If you can save $$ with a "lower power" drill you might be able to get a better quality set up, such as DeWalt, Milwalkee, Makita, etc. I guess *anyone* is making Ridgid right now, and tho' I have one of their "lunchbox" planers and it has served me more than well, I'd stay away from them right now until their QC comes up. No point it letting your wallet be their proving ground, eh?

My 2c

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

RE: Subject

I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the ass with either one of them.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snip re: Ridgid/B&D/Ryobi 18v drills

You know you're right - the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think I'll just get the Milwaukee combo pack. I think it comes with a job-site radio as well right now, so that'll wrap it up for me. The 'lifetime" Ridgid warranty is appealing wrt batteries, but given another poster's experience and a lot of faint praise, I think I'll probably stick with a known winner.

Pocketed.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I'll bite - what brand would you use to hit a dead dog in the rear?

Reply to
mttt

Now that you ask, I'm not sure.

Just wouldn't be either of the above brands.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Whew!

That's one sigh of relief from me - and hundred's collective from all those dead dogs who can sleep easy tonight.

I was damned worried you were going to say "Milwaukee" and impune the brand I worked so hard on to get by SWMBO'd... :)

Reply to
mttt

Perish the thought of ever wasting a piece of Milwaukee equipment that way.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett