Kawasaki Tools?

We had a work party last night. One of the traditions for this party is a give-away of various items, people get 5 tickets and can toss them into a basket for the items that interest them. Each year there are usually a few tools from some Big Box BORG, most of them things like B&D laser levels, they had a no-name Dremel clone this year, and a few other similar items.

One of the things they had this year was a 19.4 V Kawasaki drill. Prior to last night, I'd never seen any mention of Kawasaki as a tool vendor, somewhat surprising given the broadly dispersed audience that constitutes rec.ww and also given the number of woodworking magazine to which I subscribe. I'll admit to not looking at every ad in all the magazines (I don't even get to read all of every magazine anymore). Has anyone here had, tried, viewed, or otherwise fondled a Kawasaki drill, or other tool for that matter? Is my assessment that it was probably a cheap tool correct, or did I miss an opportunity to own a quality tool? [Actually, I did win a remote-controlled flying disk (kind of a gyro-copter thing --- that will be a great Christmas gift for my son)]

Mark & Juanita

Kawasaki makes some pretty decent stuff. They have come a long way since their 'Flex-Frame' motorcycles of yesteryear. Panasonic used to be equated with junk... pretty nice drill though. So if a Kawasaki drill presented itself in my walk of life, I'd be all over it. Laying down the cash for it would take a bit more. Sometimes I take chances... like that band saw I bought yesterday.

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a Kawasaki generator. Haven't used it much, but it "looks" nice. Supposedly it is made on the same assembly line as Hondas.

Reply to
Toller

I have a good old John Deere, patriotic USA type lawn mower. It has a Kawasaki engine that still starts on the first pull after five years.

I'd take a shot at the drill based on my limited Kawasaki experience.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's another take on the story. Who really KNOWS anything about the product you're buying? Here's one I hadn't noticed before: ASSEMBLED IN USA. What does that mean? Attaching the cord? Putting on the label that says ASSEMBLED IN USA? All US/Canada made with overseas parts?

Reply to
Robatoy

It has to do with the way the US charges custom duties. A completed item is charged a higher duty than a incomplete item. Hence things are shipped minus a installed part making it a incomplete item. This could be the power cord or the entire product could be assemblied in the US. Toyota used to ship it's trucks to the US with the bumpers in the back of the truck. The dealer would then install the bumpers. Thus a lower customs duty was paid.

Reply to
P.H. Thorsted

Don't forget about hyundai tools as well- least there was a cordless drill at Pep Boys that had that name. The batteries were only 1300mah though, pretty wimpy. I'm wondering if the name is being used and the drill is the same basic chiwanese drill with a label stuck on. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Local Sunday paper has a sales circular in it from Pep Boys advertising the Kawasaki 19.2v cordless drill & flashlight kit for $39.98. Also advertised is the Kawasaki 4 piece 19.2v kit including the drill, flashlight, circular saw, and jigsaw for $99.98. I think I will wait for Honda to come out with a cordless drill. LOL.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Mebbe it was 'flex-frame', but for sheer testicle-shrinking all-out crazy staight-line blue-smokin' (oil, not tire) acceleration, nothing beat my '71 H1 500cc 2stroke in its day.

Reply to
Doug Payne

That bike would give a lot of today's bikes a rough time. Damn! those were quick.

Reply to
Robatoy

On 12/10/2005 8:49 PM Mark & Juanita mumbled something about the following:

Well, considering Kawasaki is one HUGE conglomerate that makes airplanes, heavy construction equipment, light rail, motorcycles, electronics, etc., it wouldn't surprise me that they have several categories of stuff that I've never heard of. Same thing for Daewoo. Until I worked for Daewoo Heavy Industries, all I knew about them was electronics, didn't realize they made heavy construction equip, or cars, or a host of other things.

Reply to
Odinn

I have a Honda lawn mower that just completed its 19 th season. It has a Honda engine and still starts on the first pull. ;~) It may very well out live me and I was 32 when I bought it.

Reply to
Leon

Got to borrow on of those in Pasadena back around '72, neat little triple, at a time when I was a lightweight (well, maybe 180 pounds). Sumbitch flew in a straight line, lit up that rear tire like nothing I've seen off a drag strip. Supposed to have clocked 4.5 seconds to 60, with a cold rear tire.

It was a terror at stopping time, though, and didn't corner at all like a buddy's 500CC Norton Manx single (which couldn't carry the Kaw's clutch cable for sheer gut twisting acceleration in a straight line--at this late date, I'm not sure, but I think both topped out around 105MPH, which was about 10MPH more than I ever tacked on the one I borrowed).

Reply to
Charles Self

Here's a pic of a very interesting Kawasaki

KZ1300 6 cyl mated to a VW Type 1 front end.

Reply to
Odinn

gyro-copter

I bought one of the 4-piece specials from Pep Boys and wasn't very impressed with the quality. The drill/driver and the flashlight are OK. The jig-saw is of a "toy" quality. The circular saw seemed alright, but gave me only a half dozen cuts through 2x4s before it just wouldn't power through them. I would say it's OK for very light hobby work, but don't rely on them to get through a real job.

Can anyone recommend a battery powered circular saw that they really like?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cox

Mine was clocked at 121 mph. Unfortunately for me the clocker was a local gendarme. He was unamused.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Sounds like "Chicago Electric" painted green and black. LOL

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Reply to
Mike Berger

Well I survived the ½ off sale. Man it wore me out and got me so behind. I need a vacation bad but now no time or money (G) got a cold out of this too. Well time for my monthly sales. I have some cocobolo planes left and I have enough cocobolo for a coffin or two and enough ebony for a pocket plane or two if you're interested. Give me a email directly if you want a plane take care and merry Christmas. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

Thanks Mike. I didn't know Dewalt had two different sizes of battery powered saws. I'll check them out.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cox