Best 5 Tools...

(may have been done before but I'll continue anyway)
Recent threads on worst tools / tool abuse and grinders lead me to wonder...
What are your top 5 tools and why?
Mine are...
1. Cordless Drill Driver ... just indispensible, think I would go mad and have right forarm like popeye without it.
2. Slide Compound Mitre Saw ... I think of the all the time I spent hand sawing and the slightly dodgy angles etc before I owned one of these.
3. 4" Bosch Angle grinder, dirt cheap at 30 with a diamond blade and this tool I think is totally indestructable (well nearly so). This has been subjected to unbelivable abuse but just won't die!
4. Stanley Jet Cut Fine point saw ... about 7 and gives great cuts and light relief from all those noisy and dusty power tools on sheet material especially.
5. Club Hammer ... as far as bang for buck goes this thing wins out right and is only a bit rusty after years living in a damp bucket.
Cheers,
Alex.
AlexW wrote:

Defiantly without a doubt my best tool has to be a 1.99 B&Q ratchet screwdriver with 6 replaceable heads contained in the body.
It was just about the first tool I bought and it is still going strong. I have done everything to this screwdriver. It's been used as a lever to open tins of paint and pry up floor boards (when one snapped shut on my hand - ouch). It's been used as a punch and a drill. I routinely knock raw plugs in with it and have even knocked in a couple of small nails. It's been dropped from ladders and soaked for days. I've even used as a chisel to split wood.
Only now after years of abuse is it starting to look a little worse for ware. The bits have started going a little rusty and the ratchet isn't quite as smooth as it once was. Might have to replace it one day.
I'm betting there aren't many tools have better bang per buck.
Graham
--

..`..` Shallow Sea Aquatics ..`..`
..`.. http://www.shallowsea.com .`..`

1) Fein Multimaster. Highly adaptable for sanding, cutting, shaping.
2) Makita Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, LS1013. Precise work and smooth operation.
3) Lamello TOP20 Biscuit Jointer. Highly accurate, repeatable and adjustable.
4) Tormek 2006 water cooled grinding machine. Keeps chisels, plane blades and spindle moulder tools in excellent condition.
5) Sjoberg workbench. Weighs a ton but a pleasure to use.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

(1) Makita SDS drill
The rest:))
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

You are not alone in that!
2:. Weller TCP soldering iron... with probably enough spares to build another one and keep both going indefinitely.
3: My Mum's dressing forceps from when she was a nurse in the war... ideal for handling small components (see 2).
4: My Dad's crosscut saw, coming up to 80 years old and still sharpens up a treat.
5: Oh all right then, a cordless drill/driver.
--
Ian White

Andy Hall wrote:

Meanwhile, back in the real world for the rest of us ... :-)
I used to have a red handled screwdriver that started out life repairing the connections on my battery powered Lego railway, and survived until my landlord broke it when I was 22.
Wire strippers/crimpers free with something from Reader's Digest. Never used it for crimping but the wire stripper is okay. Has lasted at least 20 years.
A small test box with telephone plug, socket, 4mm sockets, and switchable ringing capacitor, for testing phone lines with. Made it myself.
Soldering iron and multimeter.
Owain

Spouse has been tidying his garage - HURRAH!
It looks just the same to me but never mind that.
He found a nicely made wooden box with iron handles on the ends, the top had engraved on it: GPO. He can't think of a use for it but doesn't want to throw it out. I'll find something to fit in it.
And I know that's nothing to do with best 5 tools. I suspect he'd say his milling machine, pliers from adolescence, mini-drill, step ladders and overalls.
Mary

My best screwdriver is a red handled one which is now over 30 years old. It came with a Meccano chiming clock kit and used to say "Meccano" on the handle, but that's almost completely worn off. The blade seems to have been made of very good steel for the purpose. (I've still got the Meccano chiming clock too, but it needs a couple of new parts.)
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:15:55 +0100, Owain

I must say that a *proper* compound action crimp tool is well worth buying.
Andy Hall wrote:

Quite a selection ... or is this more of an, err, "habit"?
;-)
Alex

Not at all. All are useful and pleasurable...
I have others that are more useful or more pleasurable. This selection represents the best of both worlds......
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Not 5 but a couple to add/affirm:

Yes, I never would have guessed I could screw for so long and so tight . . .

. . and the hand protector on my bolster to save me pulping my hand when I get tired. I've only had a couple of slips but one would have been enough.
My SDS, a relatively new purchase for me (I couldn't believe it would make that much difference - wrong -) but now I wouldn't be without it, just a cheapie and mainly for drilling.
--
fred

On 16 May 2005, AlexW wrote

-snip-
I vote for:
1. A pair of sash cramps that I got from my late father-in-law's tool chest. (Universally adjustable -- no notches, just a friction hold on a threaded pipe; eternally useful.)
2. Those round "pipe-slice" pipe cutters. Brill invention.
--
Cheers,
Harvey

1. Excellent: http://tinyurl.com/b4x8h 2. drill/driver 3. SDS drill 4. auto wire strippers 5. angle drill
AlexW wrote:

Yep.
No, 7 pound sledge.

No, hand-axe.

No, cheap JCB recip saw (sawzall for US readers), used on tree's, other wood, steel and ally sheet, blades to suit last 3 jobs cost more than machine, but worth every penny!

No, Hummm router, stanley no5, mig, or my set of crabs, crabs I think!
Badger.

Maybe not my "best 5", but here's the most recent toy I've bought,
http://codesmiths.com/dingbat/lj/20050508/coffin_plane.jpg
It's a Steve Knight coffin smoother, and it really is that colour. http://knight-toolworks.com /

That's nice.
Spouse has some tiny thumb planes left by his dad, who made violins. Also some drill bitswhich are hair-thin. He has no use for them but they're beautiful.
Mary

It's Stuart Little's model car & I claim my 5 pounds . . . .
--
fred

For work :
terminal screwdriver penknife set of allen keys small folding knife bodged 6" adjustable
if I can't fix it with the above, then its serious :-)
multimeter
For Home :
sds drill cheapo set of screwdrivers (handle + about 40 bits) 7 cordless drills electric tile cutter (should have got one years ago)
Regards Jeff