Continue Sentricon annual termite service contract?

We recently moved into a new house where the previous owner had installed (two months prior to selling) a Sentricon termite system by Arrow Exterminating. They apparently paid around $900 for the system.

We are currently facing the renewal of the annual contract which runs around $340. This covers repairs and retreats.

My question: is it really worth renewing this service, or should we look for a typical retreat service contract for about one-third the cost?

And does anyone know whether or not, if we cancel with Arrow, they will come and remove the Sentricon system already in place -- or do they leave it and simply no longer cover for any damages, etc.? In other words, could I possibly go with another (cheaper) termite service company for the annual contract, but keep the system already installed?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
David

In article , snipped-for-privacy@newenergyassoc.com says... :) My question: is it really worth renewing this service, or should we :) look for a typical retreat service contract for about one-third the :) cost? :) :) And does anyone know whether or not, if we cancel with Arrow, they :) will come and remove the Sentricon system already in place -- or do :) they leave it and simply no longer cover for any damages, etc.? In :) other words, could I possibly go with another (cheaper) termite :) service company for the annual contract, but keep the system already :) installed? :) :) Two different issues to consider.

As far as the baiting I would pay to have the home treated with Termidor within 5 years you probably will make up what you would of paid out with the $340 renewal. The house will be better protected than what it now is...many times over. With the renewal covering damages, it may be a case where the money saved will out weigh the amount that would be put out for any such repairs. I don't offer a damage warranty, but my initial costs avg $1400 cheaper and renewals are run $250-$300 cheaper than the company that does offer the damage repair. If I remember right the average damage repair cost was well under $300. For what it's worth they previous owner got a good price on the bait installation price, maybe due to the time of year, but my personal opinion is they paid $900 too much. :)

Reply to
Lar

This means to me there is a current ground infestation. Does Arrow show activity at any of the baiting stations?

I'm confused. The installation for $900 (which is about right for an average house. It depends on how many linear feet was involved) should also cover 1 year of service. Isn't there ~ 9 months left on the contract??

$340 is about average for 1 year of checks and baiting if necessary. Once a home is colony free a vendor typically checks only 4 times/year. If there is new activity then they would bait monthly.

It takes at least 12 months to eliminate a colony. The Sentricon system is VERY effective. I would continue with it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The baiting system is actually sterilizing the colony. There is no need to do any other treatment as long as there is no interior infestation.

You own the system. They would not pull the stations out of the ground. You can easily pull them out in the Spring when they are no longer needed.

After the contract period expires you can certainly shop around. Many vendors install and service Sentricon.

I have used Sentricon on one of my homes and it really works. There has been no activity for 5 years after treatment.

Regards,

Harry

Reply to
Harry Rowe

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says... :) It takes at least 12 months to eliminate a colony. The Sentricon system :) is VERY effective. I would continue with it. Don't let anyone tell you :) otherwise. The baiting system is actually sterilizing the colony. There is :) no need to do any other treatment as long as there is no interior :) infestation. :) :) I guess the effectiveness can be perceived differently under different parts of the country where termite pressure may be different. In the Dallas area I have yet to see a baiting system go five years without termites being found on the structure...not just in the baits, but tubes on the home. The problem with baits is you are relying on the nature of the termite. It doesn't sterilize the termite but effects the chitin when they molt and kills them. You are waiting for the workers, who do most of the damage and bring food to the colony, to die out so that a colony of several hundred thousand, will have no food base and will slowly die out. The reason the large companies, even many smaller ones now, use baits..it generates termite throughout the year that was never there before. You can check into parts of the country like the NE where even Terminix, who made Sentricon a household name, is now abandoning it where it has played out it's customer base and charging their existing bait customers more money to now go with Termidor...the same ploy they did when baits came out and had a charge for an "upgrade" to the baits....for what it's worth it can take 18 months to control a colony..termites do not share with other termites so if a colony shows up (most areas have 7-14 established colonies per acre) the new group sure won't be in the baits for awhile. The benefit of Termidor is you are relying on the nature of the termites. The reason most exterminators are moving to Termidor is that it effects the termite immediately and then in turn they spread it through out the colony to get control 6 times faster than the baits.

Reply to
Lar

Do you have any paperwork on where the "infestation" and, or damage is on the structure?

Does Arrow?

The Sentricon system at minimum should be in and monthly monitored for two years.

The Sentricon stations are property of Dow Chemical.

Arrow is providing service.

If a homeowner cancells, ie., does not renew, then, the stations are sent back to Dow.

Reply to
PCOpug

Two years ago I spent $5000 for a Sentricon system in Laredo. It didn't work. In fact, I think the situation is much worse now. My advice would be to convert your money into single $1 bills. Spray each bill with non-toxic orange oil which does work and bury them all around the perimeter of your home. That way if, at the end of the next year, if you still have termites, at least you won't also feel totally ripped off, as I now do.

Reply to
Sue Modikoane

Sue, you are responding to something 11 yrs old! Get with it...

Reply to
bob_villa

false

Reply to