Termite Preventitive Measures (Liquid defend and tenting)

I had my home inspected and they didn't find any termites but suggested the liquid defend system to prevent termites in the future. In addition, I plan to rent out my house and he suggested that I tent the house now for preventitive measures so it is less likely to do it when there are renters.

However, I am relectunt to do the liquid defend treatment let alone the tenting since nothing was found and I don't know how well these systems work to prevent termites in the future.

I wanted to know from anyone with experience whether these preventitive measures really help or should I wait till there is something actually found

Reply to
ecat

I know one thing it would be cheaper to have an inspection once a year. Look at it this way I might get two flats in one day should I carry two spares? I also bet all this will lead to some kind of monthly service. Also ask about a what kind of warranty your going to get against termites . Most that stuff is about one year and has more loop holes than you can read. Ask if you do get termites are repairs free? Read up on termites and treatments All this is from experience

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but tenting provides no protection from future termites at all. It's only to treat an existing dry-wood termite problem.

The chemical treatment can protect from subterranian termites for an indeterminate amount of time. I've known people who have had good results on existing termite infestations with the chemical barrier treatments.

It sounds like the treatment company is trying to squeeze cash out of you for a problem you don't have. Continue with the yearly inspections and buy the proper treatment solution if and when you actually have a problem.

I'm surprised they didn't try to sell you a 'baiting' system with a perpetual 'maintenence' contract.

-rev

ecat wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

The baiting system is a joke, it's nothing but a money maker. When I had termites major infestation most the honest CO. said it's a waste of $ & time. I ended up using a product called thermidor most the stuff I read said it was the best. Terminex was the worst CO I had give me a price, The guy lied about areas saying it was really bad ( when I was tearing the house found nothing) he was pushing that baiting crap down my throat.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

That is correct. Tenting will kill off any dry wood termites in your house on the day of tenting. Tenting a house without termites will kill off any disposable income you might have, but that's about all it might do.

Sounds that way to me, too.

I agree with the above.

I've tented and had termites come back five years and one month later (astonishingly, one month after the "guarantee" expired. You don't think the warantee inspections were less than rigorous, do you? Nahhhh.)

I used Thermidor to kill the second wave last year. Much less expensive, and I have a GREAT termite guy who does quarterly inspections to ensure that the treatment is effective. If you're in south central FL, let me know, and I'll give you his name. Good guy, great service, reasonable price.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

All,

Thanks for the advice and this certainly helped me out and saved me some $$.

D> >> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but tenting provides no protection

Reply to
ecat

I would NEVER use that company for ANYTHING!

Trying to sell you something you dont need just so they can make a buck:(

Reply to
hallerb