Experience with Terminix termite system

We've just discovered some termite damage in our basement.

A few quotes have come in for the standard treatment -- drilling holes in the floor around the perimeter of our basement, through the slab, and shooting pesticide in them. That seems to cost $1200 - $1500.

Terminix offers the drill option for somewhat less, but also offers their baiting system, which is less intrusive - they place baits in the ground around the perimeter, and spike them with insect-growth inhibitors which they say will kill the colony eventually.

That costs $1400 plus another $400 the second year, which will probably be necessary.

Nevertheless, if it works, it's preferable to tearing up carpeting and drilling holes everywhere in my basement.

Does anyone have experience with the system? Does it work as well as they say it does?

Thanks.

[Remove "Unwanted Hair" to reply]

o-------= Charles Martin =--o

Reply to
Charles Martin in Seattle

Steven Bliss

I tried a bait system Spectracide 100$ at HD or menards. It worked for me. Its those white uniforms and hats that cost 1300.

Reply to
m Ransley

:) A few quotes have come in for the standard treatment -- drilling holes :) in the floor around the perimeter of our basement, through the slab, :) and shooting pesticide in them. That seems to cost $1200 - $1500.

You may look for a local independent in your area and may get a better price..insist they use a product called Termidor. Not all PCOs are certified to use it si you will need to ask. I have yet to have a call back on any home that I have treated since it came out on the U.S. market in 2000. It works different than the older liquids and many companies are able to lower the price due to not having to treat every point as would older liquid treatments and still warrant the whole house.

:) :) Terminix offers the drill option for somewhat less, but also offers :) their baiting system, which is less intrusive - they place baits :) in the ground around the perimeter, and spike them with insect-growth :) inhibitors which they say will kill the colony eventually. Sentricon is proving to be a bust, some areas of the country where the baits have run there course, Terminix is now offering to treat the homes with Termidor..with a nice fee of course. :) That costs $1400 plus another $400 the second year, which will probably :) be necessary.

That $400 is not for the second year...it is for the rest of the time you are contracted with Terminix..actually after 3 years it will go up. The basement will add to the cost of the treatment but I woukld think you could get a treatment $1000-$1200 with $125 or yearly renewal. :) Nevertheless, if it works, it's preferable to tearing up carpeting and :) drilling holes everywhere in my basement. I switch several homes a year that have the baits and the customers are tired of the costs and continual arrival of termites. The cost they pay me to treat the home with Termidor is usually made up within

4 to 5 years of the :) Does anyone have experience with the system? Does it work as :) well as they say it does?

Some differences between Sentricon and Termidor....

Sentricon will start to take effect as soon as the technician finds around 40 termites in the monitoring station, which may be a month...3 months ....6 months?...never? Termidor starts to work as soon as a termite enters the treated ground.

Sentricon asks for up to 18 months for colony elimination..Termidor states it will have elimination within 3 months.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

The termite biz is all swindle and hype. They want to put a few plastic jars containing a bit of common pine lumber in your lawn for $1000s.

Nuke the little monsters. Shop around for the best perimeter saturation. This is the ancient, proven method that is cheap and effective and takes little brains and money.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

And for what it's worth, we had three years of active termite activity, including annual swarms, with baits. Never had a hit on any bait system. PCO got licensed for Termidor, I set up a time to pull down a wall being eaten by termites and he sprayed the active termites down as well as the remainder of the studding, termite activity ceased in less than six weeks. Two years and not a sign since.

Though I keep maintenance on the baits since they'll retreat with Termidor at any time I find activity with maintenance in place. :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

clipped

FWIW, bait systems are for subterranean termites. Swarms can be ants, subt. termites or drywood termites. Spraying the outside of studs won't do much for the termites already tunnelled into them.

Reply to
NorMinn

But we can't buy the good chemicals without a license anymore. Chlordane used to work very well and was safe as long as you didn't use it on a windy day or near water.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

And the "nuking" doesn't hurt you, your kids, or your pets?????

The drilling in order to do the "nuking" doesn't show afterwards?????

Just questions, I'm no professional.

Reply to
Chip Orange