Terminix system vs Sentricon termite baiting system

I'm trying to determine which company has the better, more effective termite baiting system (and ultimately elimination of the colony).

The Sentricon system, licensed by various pest control companies also uses these round baiting stations placed every 10 feet or so around the outside of the house foundation. Sentricon is made/licensed by Dow AgroSciences so I assume the bait/poison is made/trademarked by Dow. Each 'station' is monitored electronically monthly (or quarterly?) The system is warranted to 'eliminate' the colony, not just kill the few termites that come into contact with the bait and reduce the colony. The system is installed and monitored for 2 years.

Terminix has what seems to be their own system which looks amazingly like the Sentricon baiting system. They use similar (to the Sentricon system) round soil baiting stations placed every 10 feet or so around the outside house perimeter. The price is similar to the Sentricon system and is monitored for 2 years.

Not sure about the bait/poison in the Terminix system. It must do something very similar to the Sentricon bait/poison.

Any ideas on what/how the Terminix system works and if it is as good as the Sentricon system?

Thanks. Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Walter Cohen wrote: ...

I don't know for sure, but I've always figured that Terminix was just reselling the Dow system.

If they don't supply any information at all on the pesticide, I'd do a search for MSDS information on the system--I'd think they would have had to file. Many times that will give you the glimpse at the wizard behind the screen you're not supposed to see... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Crossposted to alt.consumers.pest-control.

I didn't have enough experience with baiting to make any sort of judgment.

I sold Sentricon, but the concept of luring termites from one food source to another as an effective means of control never made sense to me. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

gpsman wrote

Thats not what its about. The bait stations are a way of getting the termites to take back what is poisonous to the colony, back into the colony where it kills the entire colony.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We have a rental property that had a LOT of termite damage. I did the poison thing and the Borate thing around the perimeter and wherever I could get to wood. I even drilled some holes in the concrete block. I just used stuff I picked up from the Big Box store (Lowe's).

THEN we got a Terminex Bait system. They (the bugs) definitely found the bait. IAW the directions, when I got a "hit" I would install another bait nearby.

It's didn't take much damage to the bait to make the bait stick "pop" so I ended up breaking off the "popper" and putting the bait back and inspecting it more often. In a period of about 3 month, several baits were nearly completely consumed and were replaced. Lately, I haven't seen any baits consumed and no fresh "pops" so I have to ASSume that the colonies were destroyed.

Some of the baits "poped" just because there was excessive water and the little locking ring that held the "popper" down rusted away on one or two and water damaged the central piece of paper until it failed and the bait "popped." The bait hadn't been touched but the water coroding the ring and damaging the paper.made it pop.

I would say the systems "works." The auger they give you for making the holes is pretty crappy but we have a lot of rocks in our soil. The directions say not touse in in "wet" conditions but if you have wet soil, you have to make some compromises.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

Spectracide baits systems are at HD here, DIY cheaper.

Reply to
ransley

Consider Termidor.

You dig a trench around your house, some inches deep. You put in the Termidor.

It kills the colony in three months or less. 100%. No execptions have been found. Lasts for many years.

You can get the stuff on Ebay (be prepared for sticker-shock - about $150/gallon).

Reply to
HeyBub

entire colony.

With proper direction, resources, dedication... diligence... one day you may eventually arrive at the conclusion that they have to be lured (well, I suppose it could be marketed as "pure chance while foraging") from one food source to the poisoned food source in order for that to occur. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It isnt hard for any operation with a clue to use food thats particularly attractive to termites.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Walter Cohen" wrote

Check the longevity of the chemical closely. This is the key.

I use Orkin here. The terminex stuff lasts at best a year and the franchise in my local area is not reliable. (This is not a total slam on terminex as i gather in some areas they are quite good and even in our area they are better than Orkin with some types of pests, just not termites).

I have had several 'treatments' done in the past 10 years. One was by terminex only 4 years ago and came back to the USA to find live termites eating out a baseboard. I got the orkin contract and am covered for all damage now after an extensive inspection to determine how much damage we already had (thank the lord, just the basebord!). Yes, it costs money but we are paying off treatment for an active infestation. Once that drops off, we need only pay about 200$ a year for what is basically insurance coverage for any damages and quarterly inspections. When the chemicals start to fail, they reseed for free.

Reply to
cshenk

Turns out they're not, apparently ... A (very quick) google turned up this fwiw...I presume it's reasonably accurate, but I'd surely want to do some more followup.

It does seem to indicate Terminix isn't using Dow Sentricon, though...

--

Reply to
dpb

Terminix nationally doesn't exactly have a great track record in terms of running an honest business. Plenty of people have had their houses munched by termites when the mixture of powdered milk and water Terminix used to spray around their houses didn't turn out to be all that effective . Check with your state's attorney general office or department of agriculture before you do business with them.

Reply to
Chloe

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Or just Google.

Terminix and Orkin produce the majority of pest control customers pissed off enough to actually file suit.

Among many "real" professional Pest Control Operators they're both considered a blight on the industry (which is not to say that neither has a small percentage of true "professionals").

It's a tough business in which to compete when the homeowner has difficulty determining who is a shyster and who is not. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

gpsman wrote: ...

That's easily explained simply by the fact the two are by far the largest companies in the field: simply more opportunities.

As a secondary cause, most local companies won't make anything more than local news even if they are no better in service or follow up or warranty work than the national firms in their area so google results will be grossly distorted by that as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

Of course, but that explanation is a little too simple.

Or, they settle up and/or satisfy their clients.

A large national with oodles of advertising budget can write off clients assuming they will simply usually swap dissatisfied clients with the "other" national company.

(This is a common technique known and employed employed by fast food restaurants. Sure their dining room is filthy, and their service is slow, but they all (generally) are. If you don't come back to BK, someone will abandon Wendy's on the same premise.)

IME with termites, many homeowners tried both national companies before I got the call. Most, as in way more than half, had no evidence of termites.

Evaluated individually as wholes, both companies consist of a great many shysters. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

No simpler than your previous statement (as presented)...

But they simply won't show up on google in any profusion because there are a comparatively miniscule number of searchers for any local company regardless of how bad they might be.

Hence, it is an erroneous conclusion that because the two major companies have the bulk of the complaints on a google search the others are _necessarily_ better.

It's simply a misuse of the statistics.

--

Reply to
dpb

Agreed, but I would point to their use of "contracts" as evidence they are less inclined to satisfy their clients, and their unnecessary service intervals as evidence they are better at generating income than performing effective services.

But, they made me a ton o' money... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

That's the only point I was making...

Nothing else is derivable from the data posited.

I'm not attacking you or any other local exterminator nor defending the Big Two; simply pointing out to draw a conclusion you wished others to make from your previous post is simply not warranted.

--

Reply to
dpb

You might want to look at my web page before deciding what to do. None of these systems do anything to "bait" a termite like a worm baits a fish. Termites forage randomly for food and have hit one of these stations by freak accident. I'd advise you to look at testing data that was not paid for directly or indirectly by the folks who make it or sell it. You may want to look into a full and complete (not perimeter only) termiticide treatment with Termidor. Tom Campbell

tcampbell