Security Alarm Reed Switches

I have a simple little project to do at home, and the security type of magnetic reed switches would be perfect in two locations, if I could fully understand the terminology as it relates to normally open and normally closed.

I purchased some 3-terminal switches online, but when I received them, they didn't work for me. I need the normally-closed function, and when I put my ohm meter across the normally closed terminals... nothing. When I put the magnet close... nothing. The normally open circuit seems to work fine--N/O until the magnet comes close, then closed. I sent the switches back as defective.

It seems that the security world these days doesn't want much to do with N/C switches, and I understand why. And if I peruse switches on line, they are mostly N/O.

Unless I look at overhead door switches, and then I see that most of them are advertised as N/C. Are they N/C when the magnet is near? Or when the magnet is absent?

Example:

I'm wondering if different folks are describing it differently. I thought that "normally" meant with no magnet near. Is that correct?

I even saw an overhead door switch advertised as NC/NO, but it only had two leads--how the hell could that be?

I don't want to buy more stuff and find out it won't work.

Reply to
croy

Normal, at least in my world, is when there is no outside force acting on the device.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

When I was in the biz a N/C had a little magnet on it and a bigger magnet polarized the other way bucked it and opened the switch Adjustment was critical tho. I am guessing they may have better technology now.

Reply to
gfretwell

gnetic reed switches

ology as it relates to

ey didn't work for me.

he normally closed

lly open circuit seems

switches back as

N/C switches, and I

are advertised as

t that "normally"

wo leads--how the hell

I'd suggest looking at a real electronics supplier, eg Digikey or an alarm supplier where the description is likely to be more accurate and correct. B oth types are available, there are lots of applications other than security . Depending on what you want and if you can wait a couple weeks you can pro bably find them for a couple bucks on Ebay from China, but I'd only buy one s there that say they have both contacts. If they don't, typically they wil l give you your money back and you don't need to send them back.

Reply to
trader_4

A while back, I had to replace the magnetic switch in a low voltage circuit I installed to turn an indicator light inside the house on when the garage door was open.

I found conflicting definitions of normally open vs. normally closed. The issue was did "normal" mean when the switches were in proximity- or when they were apart.

After receiving the wrong one from an Ebay vendor, I just ordered one of each from a different vendor- and installed the one that closed the circuit turning the light on when the door was raised and moved the switches apart.

To me, that arrangement is "normally open."

Reply to
Wade Garrett