what to do with leftover fuel oil?

That sounds like an eco nightmare. I'd find some way to burn it, either via engine, or furnace, or bonfire.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So when's the last time you saw or heard about a cop sampling the fuel in a diesel car or truck to see what color it was?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Or not, the hazardous waste moonsuit show only starts when the oil is spilled. If the oil is in the tank you can call an oil company they will send someone with a pump and they will pump it out.

Reply to
George

That would not be good advice concerning using it in a torpedo heater. Heating oil is #2 and typical torpedo heaters use #1.

I have seen numerous cases where the "its all the same rule" was applied and a torpedo heater was refiled with #2, got really stinky and then quit.

Reply to
George

Where do you live so the OP can do it on *YOUR* street?

Reply to
George

I'm not a long haul driver. But, I've heard that's a common thing that cops do at roadside truck check and weigh stations. For commercial trucks, of course.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So *that* is what Starbucks uses for coffee. I knew the taste was familiar.

Reply to
keith

I'm not talking about putting it in a long haul rig, I'm talking about putting it in a regular car or pickup.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Oh, you bet they will! And just wait to see what they charge. Oil that you bought for $2.79 a gallon will cost $4-10 a gallon for removal. If you have any notion that they will figure any value for the oil in what they charge, guess again. They will tell you that they cannot resell it, and it all goes to the recycler. You pay, all the way.

Get some estimates!

Reply to
salty

I agree. I've never seen a torpedo heater made to run on fuel oil. Only K-1 grade kerosene which is further distilled and much cleaner.

And even worse is using fuel oil in a wick type kerosene heater.

Reply to
Tony

Slightly different circumstances- but when I called my vendor to have my oil tank pumped so I could replace it, they pumped and gave me a credit for market price. They said they charged a flat fee for non-customers, but waived it for customers. [it was $40-50 IIRC]

That's the only way the OP will know.--- I'm in the 'list it on Craig's List and get out of the way' camp. Insist they take the tank with the oil.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Check this out-

"Kerosene Heaters Use Only: Kerosene, No. 1 & 2 Diesel Fuel Oil, JP-8 Fuel or Jet A Fuel "

There are a half dozen there that burn diesel. -With cautions that it might smell & might need more maintenance.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yeah, great. I can see it now... Some white trash redneck garbage picker with a few open plastic 5 gallon pails will spill half of it on the floor getting it out of the tanks and half of what's left carrying it up out of the basement.

If you advertise cheap/free oil on CL, you're not going to attract professionals to remove the old oil.

Reply to
mkirsch1

If you live in an area with a lot of agriculture, the cops frequently pull over and "dip" the tanks on diesel vehicles.

Reply to
mkirsch1

It's actually done a lot and is about the best way to get rid of it without spending a lot of money. You may even get paid a little for the oil.

If you call "professionals", you are going to be unpleasantly surprised at what they tell you.

Reply to
yetanothermickey

Yesterday. A local farmer got busted for running ag diesel in his pickup truck out where I grew up.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Ask the ones who did it how much of a mess the garbage pickers made tromping through their house in their muddy boots, swinging open pails of salvaged heating oil. Ask them how much Cletus and Jimbob spilled because they didn't have a pump, and tried to catch the oil out of the drain spigot with a bucket that wouldn't fit underneath.

You're going to have to call the profesionals anyway to clean up what the garbage pickers spill all over your house...

Reply to
mkirsch1

Yes, I've seen plenty that are spec'd to use #2 if you want.

Reply to
Pete C.

I think that you should call a professional and just pay whatever they want. Seems like that would be the best option for YOU.

Reply to
yetanothermickey

Done all of the time for

Reply to