Scrap car battery.

So we took the batteries to the yard today. 7 large car batteries. 70 amp hour. Got 60 quid for them.

Right palaver. They wanted a photo driving licence which I had. Then said it was no use as it had expired. But the helpful lady in the office did manage to get it accepted or whatever and did a credit transfer into my account.

Thought it very odd I'd not had a letter about my licence. So went online on getting home - to find those which expired during most of last year were automatically extended by 11 months. But renewed it anyway. Perhaps they don't have that many old farts scrapping batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The scrappy round here was less fussy, they just said "bring photo ID next time" and paid by bank transfer.

I've got a heap of UPS batteries to weigh in, but I think I'll stop crushing my own cans instead of giving them to the council, I've been doing it since xmas, and the weight of the box doesn't seem worth the hassle, plus repeated dropping of a 28lb weight is starting to chip away at my garage floor!

Reply to
Andy Burns

The outfit I used pretty large. They had a separate shed for things like car batteries. And an operator who weighed them in. Giving him my licence allowed a machine to read it and produce a printed chit with my name and address on it and details of the load. Then had to take this to the office to get paid.

Probably worth it if you do it all in one trip.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not sure mine has ever asked (and I don't have any photo ID in any case) but maybe the rules have changed since then?

They are good because they are normally clean and sealed. ;-)

It isn't ... as mentioned elsewhere, I took 3 black bags *full* of crushed ally cans and got £2.50 or something so now give them to the Council. ;-)

We had one of those wall mounted can crushers that actually worked pretty well (turning even a tall ally lager can into a 'puck').

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And using a sledge hammer or hydraulic press or a bench vice onto the puck turns it into a disc.....

Reply to
SH

Hmmm, that could have been fun, I have a 10 tonne hydraulic press ... ;-)

So if I could have got twice as many into the black sacks that would have made them worth double ... so £5! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m