Removing old very hard putty?

Removing old very hard putty - what's the best way to do this? It's in a Critall steel window, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the original

1930s putty.

I've been using an old wood chisel and a hammer, but it's very very slow work. Is there a much better way? Not keen on a blow torch, as there's probably loads of lead paint on it, but would a hot air gun help soften it?

.
Reply to
GB

Multi-tool with scraper blade?

Check Youtube for "multitool window putty"

Reply to
alan_m

Correct, warming it up will make a surprising difference. Especially easy with Critall windows because you can supply heat to the frames ane warm it up from the inside. Do it gently until you find the right setting to avoid risk of glass cracking (unless the glass is already cracked, of course).

Reply to
newshound

A hot air heat gun with a direction nozzle is preferable to a blow torch if any of the glass is to be saved.

Reply to
alan_m

Agreed (although it does depend a bit on the torch, and whether or not you are used to stripping paint from window frames with one). I started with a blow-lamp!

But my recollection (it is a long time since I did this) was that if anything less "heat" was needed for softening putty than for stripping paint.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. I've even managed to find the hot air gun, which my DW had hidden.

Reply to
GB

as its a metal frame you are fine, my first ever attempt at that on a wooden frame resulted in a chipped chisel on a hidden nail. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I can remember glass going "ping" when using a blowtorch.

This was on first purchasing a house that, according the estate agent speak, had many period features. What they really meant that it required major refurbishment but at the time I didn't have the money and DIY was the only option including trying to rescue rotten window frames complete with flaking paint :)

Reply to
alan_m