Removing hard putty from wooden window frame

The glass in an external wooden window frame is cracked and needs replacing. The putty at the bottom of the frame is cracking and easy to remove but the putty at the top and sides is rock solid. What is the best way to remove hard set putty without damaging the wooden frame?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

IME it's a brutish implement, designed to butcher the frame. You could use a Stanley knife to score a line where wood meets putty. Often the putty will lift when the glass is removed.

Reply to
stuart noble

Heat softens it some.

Reply to
NT

*Hammer* and *use with care* don't go together well but I find the hacking knife does the job. Bared wood can be re-primed before fitting fresh glass.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Smash the glass out - seriously, try to do it in large pieces to make it easier to handle, and once it's out, you've got an edge to work with. An old wood chisel is about best for this job

Reply to
Phil L

Smash the glass out - seriously, try to do it in large pieces to make it easier to handle, and once it's out, you've got an edge to work with. An old wood chisel is about best for this job

Reply to
Phil L

I used a straightedge with a knife to create a groove along the seam, then a putty knife placed in the groove and gently tapped with a hammer worked well to lift the old putty. Then take the glass out and clean up the frame edges before priming.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Agreed - and to add to Phil L's advice, use gloves and googles [1] and put a large dustsheet down to catch the broken shards, and empty this straight into the wheelie bin when done.

As for preventing damage to the frame - almost impossible with hard putty that's stuck well into the frame. When used to do the job, I simply took my time and filled in any damage when applying and finishing the putty, and then touched up the paintwork.

[1] I'm not a health and safety 'nut', but a splinter of glass in an eye and cuts to the fingers are bloody painful - believe me!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

And of course there is always a tiny nail or two there to grunge up the end of the knife on as well!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

i have always used an old finger pointing trowel, using a blow lamp heat up the trowel and hold the trowel on the putty for a few mins , then using a putty knife pare the old putty out . this method has never failed me no matter how old the putty was

Reply to
dresden

Unless you need to replace the glass, I'd leave the hard stuff in place and just reputty the bottom half

Reply to
stuart noble