Installing glass block within wood frame

I am trying to install a glass block window into a 1920's era home. There's a filled in coal chute in the basement. At some point a previous owner filled in and cemented over the chute leaving just a window sized opening.

The window frame is supported by a beam above, and a lintil on the outside. However, two or three rows of bricks are sitting on a make-shift wooden frame inside the opening, below the lintil. If I remove the wooden frame, the bricks will not be supported, and the beam will be exposed to the elements.

My question is - has anyone had any luck installing glass block within a wooden frame? I would like to avoid ripping out three layers of brick, or figuring out a way to support them. Any special precautions I should take when installing the block within the existing wooden frame?

I've read about leaving in some foam to handle the wood expanding. Any bad experiences doing something similiar?

Thanks!!!

Reply to
mozzer

Manufacturer of glass block can help with wood frame detail. Sounds like you have need of on site review of brick. TB

Reply to
tbasc

since you can buy ready built panels of metal and glass block, there's no reason why you can't use a wooden frame. you just have to worry about flashing/waterproofing. think of it as a really thick window.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer