Scrap car battery.

I live in Hackney. There are people walking and driving by all the time looking for stuff, like modern day rag and bone men (and they are all men).

Funniest thing is an armchair we put outside, which swiftly disappeared. Next weekend the kids and I went to Brick Lane market and the kids spotted the armchair and started playing on it. The bloke then tried to sell it to me for £50.

Reply to
John Smith

I used to see a flat bed truck with a cage on the back doing the rounds ringing a bell - almost like "bring out your dead".

Reply to
Max Demian

Horse and cart when I were a lad - and that was in West London.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It was a horse and cart when I was young as well - in the leafy suburbs around Manchester (just over a mile further out than the Trafford Centre) - and I am only 54.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sounds like a very heavy battery. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

We have one who is very old skool and is with his Mrs who rings the bell. ;-)

"One man's trash is another man's treasure".

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Same here in Norf Lundin.

"Ragboneanlumberr!" <ding ding, ding ding, ding ding>

And because he was only using a horse and cart, moving slowly and quietly (in between the hails), you had a chance to go out and get his attention before he got too far away.

Didn't they sometimes give you (or the kids) a goldfish in a bag (like at the fairground, practice now banned in several places) in exchange for some good stuff?

Oh the good old days with more animal exploitation. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm talking about ten to fifteen years ago, not ancient times. <g>

Reply to
Max Demian

Similarly (even at 7 miles), I'd been collecting for ten years or so. (A couple came from neighbours, also I re-use old batteries for horse electric fencing but they die eventually).

Got a few quid for ironwork too, a bit more for copper, but mostly from the batteries.

Reply to
newshound

And you have also eeked out the time before they need to be recycled (a good thing).

Yeah, 'mixed light iron' isn't normally worth much so you need quite a bit in one load to make it even cover the fuel cost. Ally is similar but because being light, you still need a fair load to get anywhere.

Copper / brass has always been good and it pains me to see plumbers and sparkies running large quantities of obviously brand new gear in, often as a way of nicking cash out of a job at other peoples expense.

Not the same as a plumber taking away an old boiler, cylinder or old imperial fittings and covering his expenses etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought it had to be seen to go into an account?

Reply to
Fredxx

I moaned bitterly about some stuff being delivered on a pallet which they wouldn't take away with them. Thinking I'd have to break it up and take to the tip. Being wet, I left it in the (small) front garden. Gone the next day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The legislation explicitly permits non-transferable cheque or electronic transfer.

Reply to
Robin

Should have told him he can give you £50 so you dont report him for theft.

Reply to
ss

That would seem to be the common way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

John Smith snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news:2021040318145743662- nospam@nospamcom:

Sorry - I think it is very irresponsible:

Others take your lead and all sorts of stuff appear on the front making the area look a mess.

Those who take it will fly tip the unwanted parts.

They will contaminate land with fluids.

It encourages undesirables to keep driving past looking for stuff..

Reply to
JohnP

That wasn't such a wet thing to do.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Aluminium is the same weight per kilo as copper or brass.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

If you 'put a load' in the washing machine, do you do so by weight?

Do you determine 'a load of people' by weighing them all?

Is the real world confusing for you? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Scrap dealers with small trucks drive round here regularly. Nowadays, If I have metal odds and ends to get rid of, I just leave them on the lawn, and within 24 hours they are gone.

Yes, from time to time others do the same, sometimes with scrap, others with stuff that some might find useful. No way could it be considered detrimental to the appearance of the area.

A few years ago when I actually paid the council to have a fridge-freezer removed, it was one of those very trucks (complete with documentation - I checked) who collected it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon