How much would you pay for...

10 pannelled doors, 1 bannister & 4 small /average rooms skirting to be painted in gloss?

All need 1 rub down, 1 undercoat, 1 top coat.

Mum's friend is doing it in his spare time, I think it will be odd afternoons over a couple of weeks. He's not a professional decorator.

I know this is DIY, but I'm DIYing the rest of the house!

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Depends whether he's using an electric sander I suppose, as the sanding will take most of the time plus removing door furniture. At least an hour per door for a decent job [1] and the same per room for the skirting. Then what do you pay him per hour for the work?

[1] Thinking how long it would take me as an amateur
Reply to
malc

Ok I'll re-do the question, I always miss stuff off!

All need A VERY LIGHT rub down just to provide a key for the paint, 1 undercoat, 1 top coat.

The ugly, brass /effect/, elbow-bashing door furniture has already been removed by me, and flung with gay abandon into the rubble sack.

The job will be better than if I did it. I provided all the paint, brushes & tea. He's using his sandpaper and brush cleaner.

An hour per door. Is that per coat, or all in? £10 per hour makes £140. Well, I'll offer him that and if his face falls off, then I'll offer him some more.

If anyone else has opinions, please given them, he'll not be finished this week.

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

: >> All need 1 rub down, 1 undercoat, 1 top coat. : >>

: >> Mum's friend is doing it in his spare time, I think it will be odd : >> afternoons over a couple of weeks. He's not a professional : >> decorator. : > Depends whether he's using an electric sander I suppose, as the : > sanding will take most of the time plus removing door furniture. At : > least an hour per door for a decent job [1] and the same per room for : > the skirting. Then what do you pay him per hour for the work? : >

: > [1] Thinking how long it would take me as an amateur : : Ok I'll re-do the question, I always miss stuff off! : : All need A VERY LIGHT rub down just to provide a key for the paint, 1 : undercoat, 1 top coat. : : The ugly, brass /effect/, elbow-bashing door furniture has already been : removed by me, and flung with gay abandon into the rubble sack. : : The job will be better than if I did it. I provided all the paint, brushes : & tea. He's using his sandpaper and brush cleaner. : : An hour per door. Is that per coat, or all in? £10 per hour makes £140. : Well, I'll offer him that and if his face falls off, then I'll offer him : some more. : : If anyone else has opinions, please given them, he'll not be finished this : week. :

Offer him £100 + cost of his materials (say £25) and tell him there will be more work for him in the near future. If he says OK with enthusiasm, then you're in there, if he says "yeah right" with little gusto, then you know he'll never come back. Then send him a bottle of nice wine a couple of days later with a nice card of thanks.

Reply to
BigWallop
1 hour per door? Rub down, undercoat, top coat!! Who is dreaming?

Not less than 2 1/2 for a half decent job. £10 per hour for some> > Vødkäjéllÿ wrote:

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Not me, I was in here asking for advice. Seems like you'd just finished dreaming, and got out of the wrong side of the bed though.

So that would be 5 hours for a decent job, on one door? I don't think it should take as long as that. These are standard cheapo 1960's semi not St Pauls Cathedral doors!

Some people are retired ;-)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Well I was chatting to him a bit today, and he mentioned £150 for a grandaughters course books for school/uni. He said it twice. Maybe it was a hint. Then he was saying about some new glasses, and how much they cost. I hope that wasn't a hint too.

I think I'll do what you said and make sure his materials bit is extra. I wouldn't my paint doors for £100. So maybe £120, plus £25 for materials, and a bit for fuel, and food and and

GULP

:-)

I'd give him a nice card&vodka anyway I think. He's a really nice chap :-)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

I'd agree, a couple of hours at least.

As opposed to someone like me who earns his full time living doing this stuff, pays tax, NI, public liability insurance and all the other expenses of running a business - I'd want £20 an hour absolute minimum.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And you'd still expect the same when you've retired and dont work at quite as fast a pace?

Please don't bite, I'm only asking.

Vj

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

The local pro rate to us is £12 per hour and he is good, and comes highly recommended. Don't know if he comes down as far as you, but the information may be useful.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks Eric :-)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ
< snip >

Might be worth sorting this before doing the job :-)

Reply to
Martin

Well it was a ball park figure. A quick rub down with some glass paper or wire wool just as a key, 10 minutes ish. A splash of undercoat especially if using a roller half an hour ish plus the same for the top coat. Ok an hour and a half.

-- Malc

Reply to
Most Noble and Honourable the

So did this gay abandon quote you too much for the paint job ? bit harsh chucking her in the rubble ;-)

Reply to
Martin

I&#39;ve used these twice

£17.50 per pair No complaints up to now

Reply to
AlanG

lol very good :-)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

I don&#39;t think so, her dress sense was terrible :-)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

I&#39;ll pass this on to someone needing just that info in another group

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ