How Much Would You Pay For This Reclaimed Douglas Fir?

What would be a reasonable price for these 2 lots of wood?

I'm just looking for a rough number, knowing that there are a lot of factors that may impact the price. If there is any info that I can provide that might help with the estimate, just let me know.

The listing for both lots reads:

"Old growth (tight grain) reclaimed Douglas fir"

First Lot:

S4S

33 Boards Actual sizes: 1 1/8 x 4 1/2 6 boards are between 73" and 88" The remaining 27 are random lengths between 36" - 48"

Second Lot:

There are 5 Lots in the 2 images below, I am interested in Lot #3 only

Rough Sawn Actual sizes:

1 at 1 1/2 x 6 x 177 2 at 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 193 2 pieces of fire wood, 36" & 48"

Let the bidding wars begin! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What's the going rate, per bd ft, in your area?

This may not reflect "old growth" prices.

First Lot looks like about 53 bd ft. These boards appear to be quarter saw n, desireable.

Second Lot looks like about 41 bd ft. These boards are not quarter sawn. These boards don't seem to be rough sawn, but just used & abused milled lum ber, needing cleaning up.

I would think the First Lot may be the better lot, overall. I'd buy this l ot on the basis of bd ft or linear ft. Maybe, make an offer of $2-$3 bd ft , or $1.50 ln ft, see what happens?

I'd buy the Second Lot on the basis of each individual board.... Make an o ffer of, maybe, $10-$13-$15(?) for each longer board and $1(?) for each the firewood. The only thing going for these boards, as opposed to the First Lot, is that they are 1.5" X 6" wide, if that aspect is more desireable for your project.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

awn, desireable.

These boards don't seem to be rough sawn, but just used & abused milled l umber, needing cleaning up.

lot on the basis of bd ft or linear ft. Maybe, make an offer of $2-$3 bd ft, or $1.50 ln ft, see what happens?

offer of, maybe, $10-$13-$15(?) for each longer board and $1(?) for each t he firewood. The only thing going for these boards, as opposed to the Firs t Lot, is that they are 1.5" X 6" wide, if that aspect is more desireable f or your project.

Sorry about the Rough Sawn terminology. All of the wood was left over from a post and beam house project. All of the wood was reclaimed by the company that built the house. The long boards were never surfaced. The first lot wa s surfaced to use as interior casing, but was cut to the wrong size and sat i n the homeowner's basement for 15 years

Actually, I want both lots and (at least at this point) the seller does not want to break up the lots.

When I first saw the ad, I was hoping that the long S4S boards would only need to be cut to length to become the frame (side, foot and head rails) for a full size bed. Then I realized that they were only 4 1/2 inches, which I think are too narrow for rails of that size bed. The 6" wide boards , once they are cleaned up, will be fine for the rails themselves and the S4S boards will be used for the mattress supports, head board, legs, etc.

I'll have a lot left over, but that's OK.

Your numbers put me very close to what I was going to offer for both lots, which is less than he wants for the 2 lots separately.

Thanks for the estimate.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Seems Lot 3 is sold.

From what I understand, chestnut is really desireable, despite it being sof ter than Douglas fir. If you're in the area, maybe inquire/check out the W est Sparta cache. You might be able to specifically select what and how mu ch you want. Doesn't hurt to offer a bit less, per bd ft, also. Select, so as not to have any waste, if possible.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

In my opinion, and it's really not that educated, but they don't look like the old growth doug fir I have, which has much tighter rings. Those look like SYP and fast growing stuff. Not all of it, but from what I can see.

Reply to
woodchucker

How did you determine that?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I Googled "new york craigslist douglas fir", then, on the Rochester materials listings, I searched for Douglas fir.

It does state this posting was posted 10 days ago and I don't see an original posting 10 days, or so, ago.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

...and why did you look in "New York/Rochester" specifically?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On one recent thread (don't recall the subject), someone suggested, "if you 're in the NY area....", so I assumed you may be nearby, there. The genera l NY search had a few hits, one happen to be for the Rochester listing. I don't recall if I clicked on several of the NY hits, before clicking onto t he Rochester link. The NY hits were not only on Craigslist, if I recall.

Rather than scanning through all the "Materials" ads, on Rochester's listin gs, I searched (top of the page) specifically for Douglas fir. .... and, l ater, for the chestnut.

My initial search was to get some idea of the cost of douglas fir in your/a ny area, since I'm not familiar with douglas fir lumber and its resale. I couldn't give you an estimate, if I didn't have some idea of the going rate s. I didn't consider a search, until after you replied to my initial reply .

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

ou're in the NY area....", so I assumed you may be nearby, there. The gene ral NY search had a few hits, one happen to be for the Rochester listing. I don't recall if I clicked on several of the NY hits, before clicking onto the Rochester link. The NY hits were not only on Craigslist, if I recall.

In reality, all you did was get lucky. :-) That is why I asked how you found the the ad. I didn't think I left a trail via those images.

In the "woodworking stuff to do in New York City" thread my response was based on nothing more than a Google search for woodworking museums in NYC. I can do that search and respond from LA, Melbourne or the moon. There was no reason to "assume" that I lived anywhere near NY based on that response.

That said, I did grow up in NYC but I haven't lived there in over 30 years.

Further, I do indeed live close enough to the person who offered the Dougla s Fir on CL. In fact...

Here is the long piece lot behind my van:

.jpg

Here's the S4S lot in my garage.

tqak.jpg

The lots are sold because I bought them. ;-) I offer $180 for both lots, which is pretty much in line with what you estimated, so I'm satisfied.

You gotta admit that it was strange coincidence that you found the actual a d based on my response in a different thread - a response that really had nothing to do with where I live.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I remember when if you bought dimensional lumber it was one of 3 woods here in Ontario - Douglas Fir, cedar, or white pine. Spruce was "rough wood" and clear pine and clear cedar were readilly available - but Douglas fir was the construction wood of choice.. Now try to find clear pine or clear cedar without having to pay a king'd ransom - and gouglas fir??? Forget it. I think any that is left is for the export market only.

We used fir for grainery boards because it didn't wear like pine, or even elm, from the grain rubbing on it. With it's straight grain it didn't warp and twist like spruce, hemlock, or SYP (or even cedar) either

Reply to
clare

f you're in the NY area....", so I assumed you may be nearby, there. The g eneral NY search had a few hits, one happen to be for the Rochester listing . I don't recall if I clicked on several of the NY hits, before clicking o nto the Rochester link. The NY hits were not only on Craigslist, if I reca ll.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

f you're in the NY area....", so I assumed you may be nearby, there. The g eneral NY search had a few hits, one happen to be for the Rochester listing . I don't recall if I clicked on several of the NY hits, before clicking o nto the Rochester link. The NY hits were not only on Craigslist, if I reca ll.

Please disregard the blank post. I thought I had something to say but I guess not. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Googling the exact phrase you quoted in your original post is what "left a trail" a blind man could follow.

"Old growth (tight grain) reclaimed Douglas fir"

On May 2: Reclaimed Douglas Fir - $2.90/BF - Craigslist On May 30: Reclaimed Douglas Fir - $2.25/BF reduced - Craigslist

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Swamp folk got powerful juju :)

Reply to