If you have a diesel car, look out.

But you will need to spend an extra night in a hotel so the fuel cost saving goes away/

Reply to
charles

Germany does it by the Euro class of the model. Euro 1 - Euro 3 are banned from the environmental zones. Euro 4 and better are currently allowed. The VW cheat won't be relevant unless Euro 4 cars are banned in future.

Reply to
Nightjar

what's stopping you then?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Had to buy a diesel as it was the only decent engine available for the car I wanted and I'll run it until it's dead. Next time around (which will probably be the last time for me) it'll be electric, by which time they should rock and have lots of choice.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Who gives a toss about London pollution levels?

Reply to
Richard

You just need to research beforehand

It isn't difficult to find an 8p saving just 100s of yards from an exit, on many routes

is your friend

tim

Reply to
tim...

wait till you get older and see

tim

Reply to
tim...

London in the 1970s was a polluted chokefest of dirty grossness.

London today feels to me like fresh Aspen air.

I do wonder if the goalposts are being moved unnecessarily quickly... No objection to the idea of moving towards cleaner cities - but is it necessary to move in a state of blind panic?

Remember - it was Blair's government that was telling us to buy diesels. If you wnat to change the balance, tell the manufacturers, load the VED for *new* vehicles, encourage in the direction you want to go with time to adapt.

Do not suddenly say "oh, we've decided this is crap, you all can get rid of the cars that last week we were telling to you buy"

Reply to
Tim Watts

What particulates? All modern diesel cars have DPF filters.

Reply to
Tim Watts

coffee is bad. It's a diuretic and passes through you much quicker than other drinks

tim

Reply to
tim...

the build model of the car.

tim

Reply to
tim...

yep we're going to reduce emissions by ensuring that no-one can go on long distance drives

we could do that without the switch to electric

tim

Reply to
tim...

with no delays at the (2) junctions I could probably match that

tim

Reply to
tim...

until they find out that's an unobtainable expectation

tim

Reply to
tim...

You bastards will prise my coffee beans from my cold dead hands! :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I could do it in 80minutes on a good day.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Aww, bless. I can still remember believing that they worked. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

all engines are

all engines do

does it? The Toyota Priapus gets worse combined cycle mpg than a straight engine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Regardless, then, of whether the vehicle itself actually passes that standard.

These days I check the vehicle in front carefully to see whether there's diesel smoke being emitted, and turn on the recirc if so. What's amazing is the proportion of recent-plate vehicles falling into that category.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sorry but you're being far too sensible. No politician will ever agree. Messing with people creating unnecessary costs for no valid reason is compulsory with politicians.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr