If you dont have a 2016 Calendar

If you dont have a 2016 Calendar, you can use a calendar from these years:

1904 1932 1960 1988

If you save a 2016 calendar, you can reuse it in:

2044 2072 2112

(Except some holiday dates may be different)

Or use the calculator here:

Paintedcow

I've been using Google Calendar for years, even before I had a smart phone. Before that, I used an app for a PDA; didn't use the PDA, but I did use the PC program for calendar. My wife was reluctant to change her ways from paper. Then she was laid up with a broken femur and I had to be the temporary CFO in the house. I did everything on Google Calendar. When she returned to the CFO roll, there was grumbling, etc. but now she would never go back. We built this house with a large central pass through between the living room and kitchen, which is AKA the computer room. It is the hub of the house and gets used many, many times during the day for computer stuff. Now if I could only get her to do the recipes on the computer.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Google calendar is very handy. My wife has frequent doctor appointment and PT tests.

What makes it hand is any appointments either of us make are seen by the other both on the computer and phone. Easy to avoid conflicts that way and no need to call and check.

Wife had a flip phone to carry and in the few years she had it she would make about two calls a year. She wanted a smart phone like mine. I figured it would be a wast of money, but I give her most anything she wants. Wow, it gets used many times a day, but still only a couple of calls a year. Appointments, keeping in touch with kids and grandkids, news, weather. Most important, she texts me every morning so I know she is OK and having her coffee.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Looks like every 28 years......

Reply to
hrhofmann

You need 14 "whole year" calendars to cover all possibilities (since the switchover to the Gregorian calendar).

This is easy to sort out: you need a calendar for Jan 1 being on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday; THEN, you need calendars for a leap year with Jan 1 being on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

It's not "every N years" because leap years muck with it in an odd way. E.g., 2016 will be a leap year. As were

2012, 2008, 2004 and 2000. And, as will 2116, 2112, 2108 and 2104 -- but NOT 2100!

(the leap year cycle repeats every *400* years, not every 4)

Reply to
Don Y

So the average year is 365.2425 days long (365 + 1/4 - 1/100 + 1/400). Interestingly, that is a whole number of seconds (31,556,952).

Of course, that doesn't count the unpredictable leap seconds.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The notion of a "day" varies, over time as the earth's rotation is slowing. So, the need to keep injecting MORE extra seconds.

Of course, no one has told any of our (traditional) clocks about this...

[Hand-waving to ignore annual variations in the length of the "solar day"]

I wonder if the early "celestial mechanics" (galileo, newton, kepler, copernicus, etc) would have ABANDONED their ideas had they known EXACTLY how weird it all ACTUALLY is??

Reply to
Don Y
[snip]

An "intelligent designer" could have made it a lot less weird. How about a year that lasts exactly 364 days (less than 10^-30 seconds variation)?

BTW, 364 is a whole number of weeks too. 13 4-week months. Every week, month, & year start on the same weekday. Christmas could always be on Friday.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

What???! And do away with faith in the totally ridiculous??

Take all the fun out of PLANTING fossil evidence to make us THINK the planet was a lot older than it REALLY is? "Heh heh heh... I'll really confuse those 'scientists'! Make some castings of a couple of weird critters and scatter the parts deep in the soil. And, while I'm at it, I'll make these other critters that look a helluvalot like Man -- just to get the heretics thinking about weird stuff... hmmm... yes, I'll use the ancient Aramaic word for 'heretic' and call these other critters 'apes'..."

Introducing: Jesus (TM Reg), dino-rider! Collect all 7 action figures and trade them with your friends! (Batteries not included. Act now and we'll send you a SECOND set absolutely FREE -- just pay separate shipping and handling...)

But, that would look so *contrived*! Almost as if it had been DESIGNED that way!! :-/

And, what's up with naming the days of the week after Roman God-s (plural)?? Ditto with the planets?? Such blasphemy!!

(You'd think the days would be named something special: "I'll meet you next Mathew at 4:00PM" "We're going to the store on Mary." "NASA is sending a probe to Joseph" etc.)

But, we need to make sure we put the image of some mish-mosh of chrisitan and pagan celebrations on our bright red coffee cups lest we not be considered good christians!

(Everyone knows Jesus came down the chimney on that first XMAS bearing GIFTS... dispatched from a sleigh pulled by reindeer... made by little pointy eared GOBLINS...)

Reply to
Don Y

I've never understood how this all works. I was taught in school WHY it's designed as it is, but it never really made sense. For example, why do we have 28 days in Feb, and 7 months with 31 days (and 4 with 30 days). Why didn't they just make Feb with 30 days and have two less months which are 31 days be made to be 30 days? The leap year could still be in Feb, where that month would then be 31 days on leap years....

In reality, one would think that all months should be 30 days long because a circle is 360deg. So a year should then be 360 days long, but we know that would not work.... Confusing at best! So I guess we just accept what we're told and never really try to comprehend it, unless we're a scientist or astronomer...

Reply to
Paintedcow

It is not that a circle is 360 deg, but a year is the number of days it takes the earth go go around the sun. As above, it is not exectally 365 days. The time a years was tried at 30 days, after a few years it was snowing in the summer and hot in the winter.

If you look hard enough you will find out the number of seconds in a year changes and there are several standards of seconds. One with the oscillations of an atom and the other how long it takes the earth to revolve looking at one star.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery
[snip]

I'm not sure where all that complexity (varying month lengths comes from). My idea (13 28-day months) is unacceptable because 13 is female (and that is some very obsolete thing people keep hanging on to for no known reason).

360 deg. What does that have to do with the year?

That (12 * 30) would be a lot better than what we have now, but you still can't have it perfect. There's not a whole number of days in the year (and that fact has nothing to do with what calendar we use).

Maybe we could consider the extra 5 or 6 days to be a week to itself (not in any month). ALL years need to start on Sunday. BTW, 2017 will.

I liked my play better. EVERY month (and EVERY year) starts on the same day of the week.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When I was a kid, the history of the calendar was taught. For folks who think the gummit is too intrusive, a romp though the history wrt the calendar would be utter terror! :>

Add to that religious and other cultural eccentricities and its a wonder any two people can agree on a notion of "today"!

Why not just treat days as julian days? I.e., today is 4; February 1 will be

32, etc. Days between dates is then a trivial calculation -- even if many years apart!

Holidays would be just as inconvenient to remember: Independence Day would be on the ~187th (SWAG), XMAS would be on the ~358th, etc.

Days divisible by 5 are "midweeks" and days that end in '1' are "weekends" (you end up with roughly the same number of "workdays" in a 365 day interval).

Every 4 years (more or less) you get a bonus "clothing optional" day! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Not exactly. SHOES & SHIRT REQUIRED. Pants are optional. :) (those signs always crack me up).

Then I've always wondered.... What if a person dont own shoes or a shirt? They cant go to a store to buy them, because the clothing store (or Walmart) requires Shoes and Shirt. What are they supposed to do?

I think we need to enact a new law that states: All children MUST be born with Shoes and a Shirt already on their body, when they come out of the womb.

Reply to
Paintedcow