If you don't have one....

If you don't have one, they are on sale with free shipping. I know Fein is a superior quality tool but....

Allen Roy

're out of stock! Must have sold out right away at that price. Forget it. Oh, well, guess I'll keep the Sawzall after all. Andy

Reply to
Andy

the fact that it's designed to be used in an environment that must be spark-free. All that stuff costs a lot of $$$, even the wrenches.

Reply to
Prometheus

Inquiring minds want to know how carbon brushes and standard commutation produce no sparks. The area is ventilated to cool it, rather than shielding from sparks, so must be some exotic beryllium alloy on the commutator bars?

George

I am convinced that it is magic that prevents sparks!

The same question can be asked and I did ask an Oldsmobile factory rep how an electric fuel pump submerged in gasoline inside a fuel tank does not cause an esplosion. He gave me a "totally lost" look.

The fuel pumps actually had gasoline flow through the center of the motor and past the brushes. Old motors with worn out brushes were spotless inside. I can understand how there would not be a problem when the motor is submerged but what changes when you run out of gasoline?

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps that's why the pump is located in a standpipe well?

Reply to
George

The electric pump is attached directly to the tank meter fuel line on one end and has the primary tank sock/strainer attached to the other end. This all hangs from the tank unit inside the fuel tank.

As long as the sock is submerged the pump pumps gasoline. The sock is no longer submerged when you are very low on fuel. The motor/pump is above the fuel level before the sock is above the fuel surface.

There must be some kind of ground to prevent arcing from the brushes but when I cut one open to see how it worked I saw no sign of any thing except worn out brushes. Clean as a whistle inside. Go figure. Its magic I tell you. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:XXQrh.24515$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

The part I liked was that, when the pressure dropped below some preset point, it all shut down, clean as a whistle. And it cost some serious change to get a new pump installed. But that fixed the problem, I'm told.

Good thing I trust my mechanic.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

The older units would continue to run, out of fuel or not. That is what mine would do. I replaced the one on my 1975 Olds Starfire befor going to work at the Olds dealer. I was sorta woried about connecting all the wiring back correctly although IIRC there were only 2 wires.

And it cost some serious

A lot of trouble if the pump went bad and the tank was full of gasoline. The tanks had to be dropped so that you could get to the top and remove the tank unit.

Reply to
Leon

They won't gift wrap it. That's gonna reduce its popularity as a present.

Prometheus wrote:

Reply to
M Berger

I believe this is because a 12 volt spark will not develop enough energy to be hot enough to ignite the fuel or vapors.

That's why the easiest way to achieve intrinsically safe rating on electrical stuff is to keep it below (IIRC) 24 volts.

Paul Franklin

Reply to
Paul Franklin

> Allen

I was shocked by the price tag for something that my recip. saw could do. And yes when is the last time you had a sawzall spark on you? Being that there is ventilation for the motor, one would have to assume that either it is made of some real high end materials (gold wiring, some advanced titanium, carbon fiber body) or that the price is in error. Also I would like to find the concrete and cast iron cutting blades for it.

I could see this as being spark free..

And sorry to our Canadian friends, it can only be shipped in the U.S.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

No, a spark is hot, light emitting hot.

Reply to
Leon

The last time I turned it on.

Reply to
Leon

I'll take a shot at that one. A few shots actually. First, the submersed electric fuel pumps that I am familiar with, used on some GM vehicles, don't use brushes. Even if they did, gasoline requires oxygen to burn (or explode, which is actually pretty rare except in movies & TV) There is not enough 02 dissolved in gasoline to support combustion, let alone explosion. I never really thought about it before, but with fuel system design today, it would be pretty tough to get enough air inside a gas tank to support a fire inside the tank. Of course, someone could forget the gas cap, but even so, it would be unlikely.

Reply to
lwasserm

No.

Reply to
CW

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in news:dbCdnZURw8epyC3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@charm.net:

If someone forgot the gas cap, a yellow light with a funny shape comes on and a little bell dings... Well, at least on my mother's minivan. If you look in the manual, I'm sure it says to take the vehicle to the dealer soon when that light comes on. What's wrong with having a "check gas cap" light?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Brushless DC possible with modern electronics, of course. It'd be my choice.

Reply to
George

Just the blade while cutting something. The mototr is a given.

Reply to
Allen Roy

Have to ask them, I was just taking this:

Product Description From the Manufacturer This is an electric hacksaw for cutting pipe and profile steel when a spark free environment is required. The saw will cut pipes up to 24" in diameter and profile steel up to 21 3/4" height and 11 1/2" width. The saw blade needs 6 inches of clearance to make the cut. A pipe clamp is also recommended for cutting pipes.

off the website at Amazon at face value.

Reply to
Prometheus