thousand-dollar pliers

ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept., search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest".... who uses these, anyway?

eag111

would love to hazard a guess, but I'm afraid Doug Miller would just correct me.

Reply to
builderstan

Based on the description, I'm going to hazard a guess that the biggest buyer would be the 'gummint'. Probably used to install $5000 toilet seats.

gw

Well, they might use it at the same place you would use a 68lb, $3,564.76 wrench.
I decided against because Gift-wrapping was not available...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

> I would love to hazard a guess, but I'm afraid Doug Miller would just > correct me.

Would you drop that shtick please?

Reply to
Locutus

To keep it WW related, they also have clamps:

a lot to leave out the beryllium, it would seem. At least OSHA's happy. These should cut down on the woodshop dust explosions while using the drill press.

>>> Well, they might use it at the same place you would use a 68lb, $3,564.76 > wrench. >

> However, I decided against because Gift-wrapping was not available... >

Reply to
gw

Plenty of people in certain industries

From the description: a.. Non-Sparking, Non-Magnetic, Corrosion-Resistant a.. Meets OSHA and NFPA Requirements For Use in Hazardous, Flammable or Combustible Environments

Sounds perfect for oil rigs, oil refineries, chemical plants., etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

beryllium so I guess I am going to die. I notice these don't have any.

Reply to
gfretwell

>>> Plenty of people in certain industries

or anyplace that has a LOT of $$ to waste

Reply to
Vic Baron

's just for openers..... Click the link "Other products by AMPCO ", then sort from high price to low.......

Reply to
Saudade

Are you correcting me?? ;-)

Reply to
builderstan

M Berger

I was almost going to get a pair until I saw that Gift Wrapping was NOT available.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote: > ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on > Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept., > search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest".... > who uses these, anyway?

First place that comes to mind is an oil platform.

After that start thinking about places that have a NEMA 7, Class I, Div I rating.

After that NEMA 9 (Dust)

If the place can go "boom", they need these kinds of tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

think the reason they are priced so high is because they have a lifetime warranty. Kinda makes you appreciate Craftsman a little more. : )

Reply to
shooter

It's important not to have the beryllium for when you leave it lying on the kitchen table and SWMBO uses it to debone a chicken.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Non-sparking is fairly cheap - just use beryllium bronze.

However beryllium is toxic, so gets a bad press these days. Now the material of choice is aluminium bronze, which is an absolute bear to machine, hence the high price.

Also no-one is buying these out of their own pocket.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And gift wrapping is not available for this item. That sucks!

Reply to
Gerald Ross

snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote: : ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on : Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept., : search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest".... : who uses these, anyway? :

you can never have enough clamps!:

you need to make your own handle.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

OK....I went the the website, and there's a list of dozens of potential applications...a small sample: Alcohol Industries Ammunition, Missile & Explosives Plants Automotive Plants (Spray Booth) Bakery's Breweries & Distilleries Chemical Manufacturing Fabricated Metal Products Fertilizer Plants Flammable Materials Manufacturing, Handling and Warehousing Flour Mills Furniture Manufacturers (Varnish and Painting handling) Gas Plants & Coke By-Products Glass Manufacturers Glue Factories Ink Industries Insulation Manufacturing Leather Products (Tanneries) Liquefied Petroleum Gases (LPG)

....but still!

Reply to
eag111