Triton Router - she no start

I have had a Triton 2400w router in a table for as long as they have been available.

Went in today, plugged in - light on on switch - no go.

Checked full movement of switch cover, mechanism is spinning freely by hand (checked with lead off), took top cover off, cleaned and extracted stray dust, checked connections to speed control.

Took both brushes out - they were in goot nick, gave em a buff, replaced em.

Absolutely no life - its as if the safety off is locked off, but short of disassembling entirely (I started and said waaaiiit) - any body on Wreck had one stop completely?

Service agents are some distance from me, and I am pondering if I should replace it - and that begs the question - should I stay with it - or replace plate and router....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Call Triton direct. They are very helpful.

Reply to
Leon

How can that be? Triton got top marks in a recent issue of FWW. I'm appalled.

Mike Richards> I have had a Triton 2400w router in a table for as long as they have been > available. >

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Dick,

And so they should - I have given this unit an absolute hammering - and have been happy in all respects except for large horizontal panel raising bit that wont fit thru base. It has been a work horse, and served well...

Leon,

Tried Triton - pointed to service agent, I am out in the country - so would need to get it there, and back. Freight being investigated now, but I look to be up for $60 in freight, plus parts/labour - it very quickly adds up to a balance point...as in buy a new drill with new batteries in lieu re-pack type scenario.

I gather you would still replace your TRC with same?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Yeah I hear you now. Yes, today I would replace with the same as there is nothing on the market at the current time that I feel is any better. Besides that, the price has come down quite a bit since I bought mine 3 or so years ago. $214 at Woodcraft is hard to beat for a big router.

Reply to
Leon

My sarcasm was mostly my disappointment that FWW did NOT include the

3hp Porter-Cable in their roundup.

Mike Richards> Dick,

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Yes, thats my feeling also, I have a couple of other brands, and I definately think I would replace either of them with a Triton. So, probably I will buy one, send the other away to boarding school, and when he gets back, I will have another GOOD spare.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

If you are talking about the recent article, they mentioned that the only routers to be included in the comparison were strictly new generation and specifically built to fit under a router table.

Contributing editor Roland Johnson tested a new generation of routers with a specialized base that promise the convenient above-the-table bit adjustment of a router lift without the expense.

Reply to
Leon

Dick,

Send me one - I will gladly test it to destruction and write a review..:-)

Carbatec here used to hold them, but don't anymore. Perhaps not enought

240v market for them?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Oh, I missed that detail. Seems like he should have compared to the old generation, too.

Le> > My sarcasm was mostly my disappointment that FWW did NOT include the

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Don't know why Carbatec doesn't carry them anymore. Do they carry only Triton? If so, I suspect there's some nationalism at play. If not, I apologize for even thinking that.

BTW, not sure where you got ht e240V thing. My Porter-Cable 3 hp 7518 is 120v. It is a very good router although it does not have the "new generation" of above the tale fine adjustments -- it's more for the router lift crowd.

Mike Richards> Dick,

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Dick,

Confusion - what I meant was, perhaps OUR requirement for 220/240 volt does not mean enough market for Porter Cable. Carbatec carry Triton and Axminster and Festo now.

I certainly would look to a PC in my stable if they had local representation, was just again on web looking at their site/specs.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Don't you mean your 2 1/3 horsepower 7518?

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Did you check that both legs of the 240v circuit are hot? The light may well run off one leg (at least in the US). I had a similar problem with a 240v pool pump once. The breaker had failed and only supplied power to one leg.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Gerald,

Point runs another router just fine, but thanks for idea.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

There is not a 3.25 horsepower, 120 volt router on the market. Physically impossible. In the same class as the 5 horsepower shop vac.

Reply to
CW

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Goes to show, Amazon lies too. Actually, Amazon just repeats what the manufacturer says. You can't get more power out than you put in (if you figure a way to do that, you have solved the perpetual motion problem). 3 horsepower equals 2238 watts. 15 amps at 120 volts equals 1800 watts.

> What's up with that?

Reply to
CW