My week

About a week ago, I was sanding with a PC ROS hooked up to my Shop Vac QSP when the vac decided not to turn off and on with the sander. So off to Woodcraft and came home with a Fein Turbo II. Much better, more suction, etc. This weekend, Friday, went to Woodcraft for their open house/sale. Sunday, the sander decided to random orbit about 10 times a minute. Had the sander had any compassion, it would have died Thursday. Today, off to Woodcraft again. Now the proud owner of a Festool ETS 125 EQ ROS. What a difference.

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

I've got the RO 125, the RTS 400, and the DTS 400. There is a new one that is being sold in Europe, the RO 90, that is supposedly due in NA soon, that will be next on my list:

how much time these sanders save on a project ... and how much cleanup time, to boot.

Reply to
Swingman

Damn, I thought it was only a smaller version of the bigger Rotex sanders but a detail sander too.

Reply to
Leon

That was a pretty compelling video (picture worth a 1000 words)! I like the way it reaches in the corners.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

If I already did not have a Festool Rotex 125 the rectangle Festool 400 and a Fein Multimaster I'd be waiting with out patience.

Reply to
Leon

sunsabitches....... I neeeeeed one.

Reply to
Robatoy

I still have to check and be sure the Rotek is really sanding. Too quiet no dust I'll get used to it eventually. Find I'm really disgusted when I use the belt sander with the mess.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Wonder what the price tag will be on this one.

Jim

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

I agree on the time and cleanup.

Jim

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

I don't find it much quieter than my old PC right angle ROS unless you are talking about the quiet from the vac also, but it took me about a year to get use to no seeing dust. It really does make you wonder if you are doing anything until you slide your hand across the surface.

Reply to
Leon

My guess between $375 and $475.

Reply to
Leon

cOSDRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com...

Under 400... has to be.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Leon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

How are these on vibration? I can't use half the sanders out there because they simply vibrate too much.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Under 400... has to be.

If you assume that it should be less expensive as it is smaller than the others but this thing also has a third ossilation mode for detail sanding along with an extra sanding pad.

Reply to
Leon

Festool has a couple of "normal/standard" ROS with round disks. And the ETS125 is absolutely silky smooth and you can simply set it down on the work, turned on, and guide/push it with your finger if you chose to do that. ;~) Although not as aggressive as the Rotex sanders.

Rotex sanders naturally have a bit more vibration especially in their "belt sander" aggressive mode. My rectangle pad RTS400 sander does not make my hand tingle after extensive use like both of my older PC SpeedBloc finish sanders did and those things were pretty nice.

Reply to
Leon
500... 1000 with the vac.
Reply to
-MIKE-

But you'll simply _have_ to have those extras and options which bring the total up to a mere $3,975.43, won't you? I knew you would. ;)

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I only buy what I know will pay for itself, and as I am retired, that has raised the bar quite high. I love a good tool as much as the next guy, and I could (most of the time) justify buying Festool grade tools. No tool works harder or smarter than a Festool.

Reply to
Robatoy

Piece of advice, I find I get much better results with the white "brilliant" paper than the red "rubin" which gave me no end of trouble with swirl marks.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Same here, but I can easily get by with HF (and American-made) tools for most work. I needed a -good- impactor and have had both Bosch and Makita now. Both were both necessary and worth it. I'm not retired, I's just po workin' folk.

I, too, can appreciate a good tool, but it rankles me to no end that some toolmakers (Fein, Festool, and others) price theirs 2x to 20x above the rest.

Other than greed, I cannot fathom why Fein would price a tool at $400 when a nearly identical one is imported and sold by HF for $30. Granted, a tool utilizing a brand-new, good idea is worth more than an everyday tool, but 12x. How does that saying go? "...and the horse that rode in on them." or something.