Easiest way to drain a pool (no, there isn't a pool drain)

What's the easiest way to drain a pool at low cost?

I have a swamp that I need to drain and refill. It's a pain siphoning with a garden hose. I have a pool vacuum hose (1.5 inches in diameter) but it's hard to suction by mouth.

Any way to cheaply generate suction on a 1.5 inch vacuum hose?

Reply to
Arklin K.

Well, wet/dry shop vac comes to mind. Don't know if it is feasible but might be worth a try.

Reply to
RonB

For about $65 to $75 you can get a pump from HD or Lowes.

It's how I drain my pond. The more you spend the faster it will drain.

If you're not in a hurry get a smaller fountain pump. Probably around $45.

Reply to
gonjah

If you can siphon with a garden hose, you can to it with a 1.5" hose. Submerge the hose in a manner that forces the air out as you go. Cover the end and drag it to the lower point to start the siphon.

Reply to
mike

Assuming you're not on the top of a hill ...

Look into a submersible pump. Make sure you get one that will pump 'up hill' higher than the depth of your pool. The bigger the pump the faster it will empty.

Reply to
NotMe

To empty a pool? The shop vacs I'm familiar with fill up the canister and then you have to turn it off and either open a drain c*ck or spill it out.

I see 3 choices:

A - Rent a gas powered pump and empty it out quickly.

B - Buy an electric pump and empty it out slowly over a day+

C- Adapt some of the existing pool pump plumbing to a flex hose and use that to pump it out.

Reply to
trader4

"Arklin K." wrote in news:jnv33d$sru$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

What's your definition of "low"?

Have you considered renting a commercial-type pump from an industrial- supply house?

Reply to
Tegger

I remember trying sucking on a pool hose last year. Not so easy. I was able to stick it under water then hold my hand over the end, lift it over the edge and get the siphon flowing, but it kept loosing air and stopped. Plus the end in the pool kept floating to the surface.

Anyway, if you have more than one garden hose, try using more than one at a time.

If it's dirty water you're trying to take out to put in fresh, I wouldn't do that. I'd clean it up with the filter.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Go to HarborFreight.com......... Search part # 68422 . I have had this pump for over 5 years,draining my above ground pool, my hot tub and my fish pond. Drain hose hooks up to a garden hose or with either of the three adapters a larger hose. I only use the 5/8 garden hose because it is available and convenient.

Price is $49.99 then use your 20% discount and you have a great little pump for $40.00 . Yes , it is slow but works like a champ for what you are needing it for!

HTH

Bill Hall

Reply to
Bill Hall

That looks pretty cool. I might be looking into one of those. How much water does it leave in the bottom?

Reply to
gonjah

A sharp knife would work.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think the idea was, hook the shop vac to the 1.5 inch hose to get a siphon running.

Well, if that wasn't the idea...it's worth a try. My last go around with this was the big 1.5 inch hose is too big and the siphon lets air in and stops.

Reply to
Dan Espen

If the circulator pump works, can you use backwash? That's what my parents did, the one time they wanted to drain the pool.

Years ago, I built a sump pump and discharge hose. With a cheapie from Harbor Freight, you might be able to make such a rig for under fifty bucks. Sixty, maybe.

.

I have a swamp that I need to drain and refill. It's a pain siphoning with a garden hose. I have a pool vacuum hose (1.5 inches in diameter) but it's hard to suction by mouth.

Any way to cheaply generate suction on a 1.5 inch vacuum hose?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I didn't mean to empty the pool. I meant to use the vac to generate enough vacuum to get the 1.5" hose siphoning. Then turn it off.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Assuming (which it won't be ) that the pool bottom is fairly flat; the pump will continue to suck down to about 1.5 inches of water .That is PDG for draining :>)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

Dunk the entire thing under water, get all the air out, and plug the end. After you move the end to where you want it, unplug the end and the siphon will start.

Reply to
krw

That worked!

I've got a ton of water coursing down the street as we type!

Reply to
Arklin K.

It's a filter so it has no backwash.

The siphon method suggested worked though.

It's draining as we speak.

Arklin K.

That's the technique that worked!

Arklin K.

Good idea.

I dunked all the garden hoses into the pool using the same method!

It's draining 30,000 gallons as we speak into the sidewalk!

Arklin K.