I don't want a pool

I've been looking for a new house and a couple that I've liked have pools. If I got one of those houses and wanted to get rid of the pool, what would be the best way to do that? Just fill it in or demolish it then fill.

Reply to
al

I'd recommend finding a different house, frankly.

--

Reply to
dpb

No shit. Why pay an extra $20K+ to earn a $5K job that will reduce the value of the property $20K+?

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

You're paying taxes on the pool. you will probably need to get a permit to demo it,and there may be some specifics as to how the town wants it done. Then it gets removed from the survey and the tax role

Reply to
RBM

I don't know why people jump to the conclusion that a pool automatically means the house is going to cost $20K more. In most of the USA, particularly northern climates, when you add a pool, you may not get anything back when you sell it. Or, in some cases, it can actually hinder the sale. For example, families with small children may be reluctant to buy it.

If you're satisfied with the house and price, the pool certainly can be removed. If the pool has a concrete deck around it, I would demo that. For the pool itself, I'd get rid of just the top foot, punch holes in the bottom, then use clean fill, followed by topsoil.

Reply to
trader4

I second that. Why pay extra in the first place for a chemical dump site with human waste and then have to relandscape the yard.

It's a buyer market like it hasn't been in years if you have good credit!

Reply to
RLM

Thanks.

Actually both houses are bank owned and selling at substantial discounts to comparable properties, without pools, in their respective areas.

Reply to
al

I was taught that a pool adds zero value to a house, i.e. adding or removing a pool has zero effect on home value. It will cost a few bucks to fill it in and we're in a buyers market so include this cost in your offer. But, since it is a strong buyers market, find a house without a pool.

Reply to
Frank

whats done is create large hole in pool bottom, and demo around edge and fill in.

if you might want to reactivate it someday still hole in bottom then fill with gravel.

you dont want abandoned pool holding water and breeding mosquitoes.

call some local pool companies they remove them too.........

Reply to
hallerb

Drain pool. Remove and sell the pump and diving board and such, if they are in good shape. Remove liner and metal side panels, if a modern cheap pool, or punch holes in bottom, if an old-style gunnite pool (so it won't float out of ground in wet weather, like a boat). Bust up surrounding concrete and edging, and drop in hole, keeping top 18" or so clear. Top off with clean topsoil, grade and seed to suit.

Don't just fill it in- that looks tacky. I have seen a couple like that around town here, both used as garden space, and it still looks like a pool. And see above about them popping out of the ground- that can happen even full of dirt, or the reverse can happen- you will have a small swamp with no way to drain it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The best way is not to buy the house or have the owner remove it before closing.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
bigjimpack

Here in upstate NY an outside pool adds no value, and in some cases can decrease the selling price. Hell, you can only use it 4 months a year. An indoor pool (endlessspa or lap pool), on the other hand, can net you big bucks in resale.

Reply to
<h>

If it were me, I&#39;d demolish it in it&#39;s entirety, then have the remains hauled away, and pick up some fill dirt (check Craigslist for some, it&#39;s often being given away). When I&#39;m done it would be like it&#39;s never been there.

Reply to
zzyzzx

Geeze, You&#39;d think a pool was the equivalent to a stockpile of radioactive waste. You wouldn&#39;t be the first person to buy a house and remove an existing pool.

If it is vinyl and in good shape it can actually be taken apart and reused. Try local pool installers to see if they want it for free in exchange for removing it.

Reply to
Jeff

I&#39;d see little point in the market today to spend the money required -- I was assuming it would be an inground pool or the question wouldn&#39;t even have been raised.

It would be at least a moderate expense to remove and re-landscape, etc., so unless there&#39;s a really big financial incentive, seems like there would be better choices available is my thought.

Plus, if it is in a neighborhood where pools are a common amenity, would likely be a detracting value item if were to want/need to relocate in the future.

So, overall, still my inclination would be to look elsewhere or at least get a pretty solid estimate on the cost and the potential change in final value before going on.

--

Reply to
dpb

Having a pool is like throwing money at a hole in the ground.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just like having a boat is throwing money in the water. It ain&#39;t natural- creating a wet spot where it should be dry, and a dry spot where it should be wet.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Excellent observation.

Reply to
HeyBub

On the other hand some people actually use their pool and their boat, in which case it makes as much sense as owning a car, another losing proposition.

Reply to
gfretwell