OT: Electric car batteries

Page 9 of 11
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 1:46:05 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sure, so you only do a swap when you have to.

Exactly. But it's all a moot point because the economics still don't work out so that it's competitive, justify the huge investment in these new swap stations that have huge inventories of huge batteries, etc.
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:44:46 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
The idea has been floated for many years - but untill you can get 2 or more manufacturers to standardise in a single battery design, and a chassis design that allows easy removal/replacement of that same batterry on all cars, it won't happen.

USB is a standard.
--
If you walk into a nuclear power station with a pocket full of Brazil nuts, you will set off the radiation leak alarm, as Brazil nuts are radioative.

On 6/22/2016 3:00 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

USB IS a standard. Now, if everyone would follow it.
Standard? mini? micro? reversible? HDMI?
Try to figure out how to charge a device from USB. Lemmesee...do I want to short d- to d+? or 15K from one or both to ground? Or a voltage divider between v+ and ground? On one or both? What about pin4? OTG? sink or source? And the answer to all that is, "Depends"!
So, USB ARE standards, just depends on which one and if it's followed.

They must do, because every time I plug a USB device in, it just works.

You can have more than one size of something and still call it a standard.

I just connect the load to 5V and 0V. Who needs data?
--
A woman was standing at the edge of a cliff trying to get the nerve to jump off.
A homeless drunk stopped and mumbled, "If you're about to kill yourself, how about a shag before you go?"
On 06/22/2016 04:00 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Right. Why do I have a collection of adapters? Why do I have to get out my reading glasses to tell a Micro-B from a Mini-B?
On 06/22/2016 08:20 PM, rbowman wrote:

How does the new improved updated Type-C connector make you feel? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Type-C

Presbyopia?

Reversible, about time. This should have been done with the first USB. I suggested it and was told it was impossible!
--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing.

A standard can have a few different types within it. What would be wrong with 3 battery swapping bays? Say one for large, one for medium, and one for small cars?
--
It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedelian verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities.

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 6:13:36 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

Aside from the increased cost of having 3 different kinds of huge batteries and the limitation that now each bay can only accommodate a particular class of car, none.

They manage with diesel, performance diesel, unleaded, super unleaded. There are usually at least 9 places to stop your car in a forecourt.
--
If you're bothered by a god-botherer, does that make you god?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 14:28:43 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

They sold Super Purple Martin Ethyl from the same pump that had Martin Regular, Martin Ethyl, Super Martin Regular, and Super Martin Ethyl. I seem to recall something close to that. Then you had Sunoco gas pumps, where you'd dial in the octane rating.

Are you quoting from a movie? Who are Martin and Ethyl?
--
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.

On 06/23/2016 01:20 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/RA0715-221260/?PageSpeed=noscript
You can buy a Martin pump and stick it in your living room. Probably would improve the decor immensely.

Why is it called ethyl? Hasn't always been propane? Ethyl sounds more like something you'd drink.
--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline Luggage. -- Mark Russell

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 22:30:31 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

Ethyl - for Tetra-ethyl lead - used to make high octane (aka Ethyl) gas.
On 06/24/2016 03:30 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Tetraethyl lead. As an additive it improved the octane rating so 'ethyl' gasoline was the good stuff. Like cigars and freon it is very unpopular these days.

We had "super unleaded" which made absolutely no difference when I used it. It was supposed to be 98 octane instead of 95.
--
The Royal Family have been declared bankrupt after receiving Richard III's parking fine.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:15:10 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

Higher octane doesn't do anything for low compression vehicles. You appear to be about as dumb as a couple of rocks. Are you SURE you aren't Me McCaw????

I'm not a mechanic, most people aren't. If I stick a 9V battery on a 3V motor, it'll go faster, whether it was meant to or not.

You're the slowest of everyone in any newsgroup.
--
You can't please everyone. But it IS possible to piss 'em ALL off at the same time.