OT: Electric car batteries

You don't need to, because you can charge batteries nicely in an hour.

You don't need to. Because you can charge a battery in an hour, you can't get petrol from the well to the pump in that time.
--
Gargoyle (n), olive-flavored mouthwash.

On 6/22/2016 2:43 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I think you're oversimplifying. It's quittin' time and 20 cars show up in the first ten minutes. How many batteries do you stock? How many forklifts? I don't know much about battery capacities, so scale to suit. Big round number is 100kWH x 20 = 2MWH in an hour. Where are you gonna get 2 Megawatts? Maybe it's half that??? Where are you gonna get a Megawatt? And how about the other three energy stations at that intersection?
There's no way, with current technology, to store massive amounts of electrical energy at the point of demand.
There's a HUGE amount of petroleum energy in the pipeline in train cars, storage depots, tanker trucks, on-site storage at gas stations. I suggest that there ain't enough electricity available to replace it in a way anywhere nearly as conveniently as "fill-er-up".
And, with current technology, what does pumping 100kW into a battery for an hour do to charge efficiency and battery life? Each 10% inefficiency costs you 10kWH. What do you do with the heat? How does temperature affect battery life?
Think deeper than the obvious.

Would be hard to achieve overnight. But we ain't all buying new cars overnight.
--
All this "expressionism" in art, personally I think things ought to look like things. To me it's fairly easy to
tell what the artists are trying to say with their smears and swirls -- they're trying to say they can't paint worth a damn.

+1 Exactly Ed. Liable to get the pre-abused one from this guy...
--
Tekkie

Why are you thinking about solar? You guys do have electricity to your home for heating, lighting, etc don't you? You can get enough current off that to charge a car in some hours.
--
"VAT is a simple tax..." -- Anthony Barber, Chancellor of the Exchequer on the introduction of VAT on April Fool's Day in 1973.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:53:14 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

Because at about 20 cents per KWh electricity isn't cheap - and at peak demand we can't get enough power from the grid to run everything else - much-less charge all the cars.

e:

imes

re

he

ur home for heating, lighting, etc don't you? You can get enough current off that to charge a car in some hours.

In the UK, it's 12p per kWh, and 1.10 a litre of petrol. Electricity is several times cheaper.
You don't have enough power for your current usage? Do you live in Canada or Bangladesh?
-- Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques.
On 06/25/2016 10:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Are you on Ontario Hydro? I guess their little experiment with nukes didn't work well. I don't have a bill handy but most of my monthly bills are the flat rate charges that outweigh the actual usage except int the winter when I use some electric heat.

On Ontario Hydro - and the Nukes work just fine. It's just all the financial stupidity involved with a state run enterprise, combined with a virtual monopoly and too many British engineers.
Stupidity like paying ridiculous sallaries to embiciles to run the corporation, then paying them multi-million dollar severances to get rid of them when they screw up. And things like paying 6 or 8 times the retail rate for solar generated power that we can't use - and paying the eastern states to take it off our hands. And things like politicians dismantling and cancelling natural gas "peak" stations to get votes in the provincial election - at hundreds of millions of dollars in cost.
It's not the Nukes - it's the idiots......
On 06/25/2016 01:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You have no monopoly on idiots:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Power_Company
It all started with a Republican governor who drank the deregulation KoolAid. MPC lost no time selling off their hydro and coal generating plants to out of state interests and entering the dot-com business just as the bubble burst.
The electric rates went through the roof, effectively putting several aluminum smelters out of business. It was so bad the pulp mill down the road brought in diesel generators before they closed down.
Luckily I'm in a co-op that goes back to the Rural Electrification days and contracts with the Bonneville Power Authority and my rates didn't jump appreciably.
On 06/25/2016 10:45 PM, rbowman wrote:

Ever since deregulation the power company stopped trimming trees along the power lines. Consequently, when a thunderstorm/icestorm blows through, the power goes out for a couple days. It's of little comfort that I am *supposedly* saving $100/yr on electric. I can't imagine any consumer is actually better off with power deregulation.
I suppose the folks at Generac like it though.
On 6/26/2016 9:51 AM, D. Fault wrote:

CT Power got a lot of bad publicity a few years back for not enough tree trimming when an early snow took a lot of wires down. They increased the trimming and got a lot of bad publicity for excessive tree trimming.
So, here are my demands: Power will never go out I don't want any power plants within 1000 miles No cutting nature's trees When it is 100 degrees I want to be able to run the AC, the dryer, and charge my electric car I don't want to see wires I won't pay more than 5 cents a kW
On 6/26/2016 12:45 AM, rbowman wrote:

What do you pay? Adding in all the taxes and other sneaky charges, we pay about .21 here in New England.
On 06/26/2016 08:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There's the rub. The energy charge is $0.0690 / KWH. The base charge is $26.00, or more than twice the energy cost this month, so it's effectively $0.214 / KWH. Per KWH I do a lot better in the winter when the energy charge exceeds the base charge.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:47:13 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

And you are one of the idiots that would scrounge worn-out no-good batteries???
Figures. 2nd generation brittish dole scrounger??

Nope, someone with economic sense. Look up figures on the loss due to depreciation of a new car. You should buy your car from 3-6 years old. Old enough to be a fraction of the price, new enough not to break down.
--
What's a diaphragm?
A trampoline for dickheads.

It'll cost you, when we're all using cheap electric ones in the rest of the world.
--
A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.
On 06/26/2016 04:52 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Less our globalist politicians, the US can come very close to autarky. Or to simplify the concept, the rest of the world can piss up a rope. Unfortunately that will never happen as the oligarchs are heavily invested in mercantilism part III.

Nobody can predict what stupid things politicians will do.
--
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

On 06/26/2016 02:37 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

But you can predict they will do stupid things. it's the suspense of what they'll be that's the killer.