OT: Electric car batteries

Why has nobody ever thought of a removable electric car battery? You know how with a camping gas cylinder, you take it to be refilled, but they don't refill it while you wait, you simply get a full one in exchange? Why not do the same with the car batteries? A "petrol station" could have a big rack of batteries charging at whatever rate, and you simply pay, take a full one, and slot in your empty one.
--
Please do not look into laser with remaining eye.

Oops, should have googled first. Someone is doing it properly:
https://youtu.be/H5V0vL3nnHY

https://youtu.be/H5V0vL3nnHY

--
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.

James Wilkinson wrote:

Did you even think to search whether anyone has proposed this? Several manufacturers have considered (and rejected) the idea ...

Breaking news. Troll utters bollocks to elicit a response.
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

"Elicit a response" - er... you mean like a question? Like almost every single post made to this group?
--
The inside of a spider is under pressure, like the air in a balloon, because spiders move by pushing fluid through valves. They are hydraulic.

I didn't search first because I'd never hear of it. Never mentioned on Top gear etc etc, so I assumed it wasn't available.
And see my other post, it hasn't been rejected by Tesla, the company doing electric cars properly.
--
To determine how tightly to do up a nut, continue until you hear a crack, then back off half a turn.

James Wilkinson wrote:

It probably has ...
<http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a25872/elon-musk-tesla-battery-swap

I suspect that flow batteries would make more sense. Pump the used electrolyte out and replace it with fresh. Saves all the packaging issues with swappable battery packs.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 27th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

I heard of that a while ago, but not since. Are they still considering them?
And what do you mean "packaging issues", can you rewrite that in English? You sound like someone from Human Resources using vague meaningless terms.
--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

Sorry, but I don't do moron.
*plonk*
--
Today is Pungenday, the 27th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

You're the moron who thinks "issues" describes it completely.
--
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my Uncle Bob. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...

Obvious, innit. If you swap the battery you have to arrange for it to be swappable. Which means it has to be packaged robustly so any dimbo can hoick it around the charging station without it getting damaged. And the car then needs a big hole and slidey thing to get the battery into and out of easily.
Much easier just to have a drain tap and filler tap to remove old and add new electrolyte.
Where were you when the brains were being handed out?
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

Actually not.

Which is what is meant by "packaging" when talking about cars. Fitting all the bits in.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 27th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 22/06/16 12:15, James Wilkinson wrote:

It's been rejected.

And don't they weight 80kg or more? But perhaps all the little old ladies driving electric cars that Mr Wilkinson knows are big beefy birds.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy

I was considering that the garage would have a mechanism in place. And it appears Tesla do.
And I think you missed a zero off the weight.
--
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Because he's a troll, and you're feeding his need for attention.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

Plenty have.

Because the battery in an electric car is just a tad bigger than that and is worth about a thousand times more than that.

Using a forklift.

Tesla managed it. Something clearly has to be done, because 90% of people don't want to fill up in half an hour instead of a few minutes for petrol.
--
How to start a fight, number 46:
Wait till a bunch of girls walk past a phone box.

Its far from clear that they have in a commercially viable way.

Yep, don't bother with electric cars.

And that is why hardly anyone except the likes of harry bother with them.