My new Indesit double oven has weird connections!

I won't be installing it myself, but as a matter of interest, I lifted the black plastic cover on the back panel just to have a look at the connection screws, and these seem to *tighten* by undoing them!!

What gives?

MM

Reply to
MM

PS: This is what it looks like:

There are three hex screws.

I can't see (and the installation instructions don't say) where the wires are supposed to be fed in.

MM

Reply to
MM

They are probably "cage" style terminals, where as you tighten the screw it draws the cage "up". That can look like tightening is opening the terminal until you realise the wires go above the bottom of the cage.

By those little ramp like bits.

Reply to
John Rumm

My thoughts too, and consistent with that image (although I confess I hadn't seen that exact design before).

Reply to
newshound

The electrician took two goes and had to peer closely the second time at the terminals, but he got 'em fixed in the end. Nice and tight!

New double oven is going great! Looks really smart.

He charged me £30. And took the old ovens away.

MM

Reply to
MM

Only £30? Did you asking him about his favourite fly-tipping spots? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

£30 for less than an hours work and a bit of free scrap? Yes I have seen the smilie.
Reply to
ARW

Much scrap value in old ovens? Can imagine that there's much metal in them. Just curious.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He's local and doesn't charge the earth like companies with huge numbers of staff and a fleet of Check-a-trade Transits to pay for.

I think it's very bad for complete strangers to denigrate all local tradesmen like you did.

MM

Reply to
MM

Not all, but I think everyone employing a tradesman needs to be aware of the problems of flytipping. It happens, a lot.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He didn't ~have~ to take the old one away.It did it purely as a convenience to me. I had told him already that the shop, also local, not internet, was going to collect the old one in a few days, but he said, nah, let's just get rid of it now, job done. So what was in it for him ("Tim" might be the better one to ask this) to go to the bother of carrying the old one to his van if he was just going to fly-tip it, which I don't believe for a single moment, if I already had the option of free collection by the shop?

And yes, it was less than an hour. I reckon he and his apprentice were here for about 40 minutes in total, possibly slightly less. I was perfectly happy with £30.

MM

Reply to
MM

If he hadn't factored in a disposal cost before quoting your price then it's not unreasonable to suspect that his disposal cost is going to be zero, either because of scrap value or he's going to fly tip it. The incentive for him is more trade from customers like you who don't ask questions and recommend him to friends and neighbours "because he takes your old stuff away".

Still waiting for anyone who knows the value of a scrap double oven. Maybe it would cover expenses but I'm doubtful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There is a guy locally who raises funds for a community project by collecting scrap, I hope to see him in the next few days and will ask.

Reply to
newshound

It's a good point, and easily checked: See if he's on:

otherwise, it's illegal for him to transfer waste.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Probably just scrap steel prices... not looked recently, but last time I did it was about 12p/kg. So I suppose an oven could be worth £2 - £3 if you re lucky.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suppose if they save up a few items for a single trip to the scrappies it would be worth doing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So you're STILL accusing local workmen of being criminals, then.

MM

Reply to
MM

Sounds more like he did it to make about £1.50 to £2.00. Throw it with the rest of the scrap he can save over the year and then take it all in one go to the scrapyard and it could easily be a couple of hundred beer tokens.

Reply to
ARW

It's not waste:-)

Reply to
ARW

Or maybe he's thinking that he can Ebay parts of it as spares - handles, knobs, timer, glass doors, etc.

Reply to
Steve Walker