OT: Electric car batteries

Would you want put up with poor quality crap in the name of the environment?
--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"
On 06/25/2016 12:18 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

The environment can best be served by getting rid of poor quality crap. First off, a few hundred million humans...
You'd better watch that your argument doesn't come back to bite you. Obama is pushing poor quality, expensive electric vehicles in the name of the environment.

And the EU is making us take in millions of those. We don't have the room!

If there's no tax on the fuel, I'm all for it.
--
What the best way to get a guy to stop smoking after sex?
Fill his waterbed with gasoline.
On 6/26/2016 6:41 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Won't be any tax on the fuel, they will tax you by the mile. Some states already planning it. Still for it?

Are you being pedantic on purpose?
--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."
On 6/26/2016 2:33 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yes. Many people think electric cars are a great value. Soon though, some of the savings will disappear when the states start putting a road tax by the mile to make up for lost gas tax revenue. No more free lunch.

I'll get round that.
--
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

On 06/26/2016 12:33 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Not at all. Fuel tax is revenue. Neither the federal or state governments give up their cash cows willingly. If you can't tax it by the gallon, mandate GPS trackers in every vehicle and tax them by the mile.
A current example is exempt diesel fuel for off road and farm use is dyed red.
http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/businesses/petroleum/Pages/Legal-and-Illegal-Use-of-Dyed-Fuel-in-a-Licensed-Motor-Vehicle.aspx
Best not have pink fuel in your Merc.

When I said "if there's no tax on the fuel", I was including other devious means of taxation per use. Hopefully if they do, they'll try to tax by charging, and I'll get round it by charging it incorrectly.

Plenty folk use pink fuel here. It's never checked unless the police know you're a farmer. So the farmers give it to their friends.
--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

On 06/26/2016 05:12 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Do they still have those vans that supposedly drive around to catch you with your untaxed telly? Noting irregular power usage will be a lot easier.

They don't exist, it's a scam. It is not possible to detect a TV in use, and definitely not what channel it's on, and even more impossible without CRTs.

It's the same electrons as anything else, it could be storage radiators heating up at night, it could be a marijuana plantation hidden my attic, it could be a car charging, it could be a room full of computers, they simply don't know. And they can't invade people's privacy by looking in your house without a search warrant.
--
Yesterday scientists in the USA revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones.
To prove their theory they fed 100 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them started talking nonsense and couldn't drive.
On 06/27/2016 10:47 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yeah, but it had the sheep worried. Actually, you can pick up a TV's LO but probably not from a van out in the street.

Coming soon to a country near you.

Since you don't need a licence to use a TV to operate your Sony Playstation or to watch bought DVDs, that technique wouldn't work anyway. They have to prove you are watching live TV (where live means shown in the last hour).

Our police aren't out of control gun maniacs like yours :-)
--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

On 06/28/2016 02:28 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Give that time too. The plods must watch US police shows and come down with penis envy.

We'd never allow it.
--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?

On 06/29/2016 03:22 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

You'll allow whatever the guy with the M-4 wants you to allow.

Doesn't work like that over here. Policeman would lose his job very quickly.
--
A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked, "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?"

On 06/24/2016 01:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yeah. I can buy a shiny new Ford Focus electric model that gets 80 odd miles per charge and strains to make 84 mph. If I wanted to take 6 days to get to Billings I'd ride a bicycle.

A car that gets 80 miles per charge is not worth buying. Even the basic electric cars quote 130 miles, and the fancy ones are 250 miles. But anyway, the thing we're discussing here is should we charge for 30 minutes, or swap batteries? You do a 700 mile journey with an 80 mile battery, and you need about 10 charges. Would you really prefer 5 hours of sitting about to 7.5 minutes?
--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
On 06/25/2016 07:51 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I'd really prefer filling the gas tank about three times. Anyway I need to take a leak every so often and scrape the bugs off the windshield.
The local Triumph/Yamaha dealer is flogging Zero bikes:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
Decent looking and good performance but the same problem. Other than a commuter or an urban bar hopper, they just don't have the range. At $10-$15K they are more competitive with standard bikes than electric cars. The cheaper electric cars don't have the range and the ones with minimally acceptable range are up in the $50-$70K range.
If I lived in an urban area they might be interesting. I'm sure the neighbors would prefer a whirrrrr to the Harley firing up.