OT: Electric car batteries

It's not seeing them, it's hearing them. For example I have a mirror on my bicycle but in most cases I hear cars coming without even checking the mirror. Then there are the assholes who blow their horns when overtaking a bike but I won't go there.

Same thing with pedestrians. I don't cross a street merely because I don't hear a car coming but the auditory cue does add information, particularly when the sight lines are short.

Reply to
rbowman

I know a few doctors....

Reply to
rbowman

Less our globalist politicians, the US can come very close to autarky. Or to simplify the concept, the rest of the world can piss up a rope. Unfortunately that will never happen as the oligarchs are heavily invested in mercantilism part III.

Reply to
rbowman

Again, readily apparent... How's the pay down at the chips shop?

Reply to
rbowman

There's the rub. The energy charge is $0.0690 / KWH. The base charge is $26.00, or more than twice the energy cost this month, so it's effectively $0.214 / KWH. Per KWH I do a lot better in the winter when the energy charge exceeds the base charge.

Reply to
rbowman

How does not using it imply I'm stupid?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Nobody can predict what stupid things politicians will do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Which means you most likely know a few things about what is bad and good for your body.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Then you'll have to use the mirror.

The official rule in the UK for the horn is to "warn of your presence", which is what he's doing :-)

Precisely - you don't cross until you're sure. I go by sight, but don't bother looking if can hear it. If the cars were all silent, I'd have to look, but I'd be in no more danger.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

When I said "if there's no tax on the fuel", I was including other devious means of taxation per use. Hopefully if they do, they'll try to tax by charging, and I'll get round it by charging it incorrectly.

Plenty folk use pink fuel here. It's never checked unless the police know you're a farmer. So the farmers give it to their friends.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I'll get round that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Honours degree in abnormal basket weaving doesn't open many doors for work - even though it had the lowest tuition and no textbook costs - and it doesn't mean you are smart.

I've the equivalent to a city and guilds engineer qualification plus a couple diplomas, but my most valuable education was my "practical engineering" education from the School of Hasrd Knocks. - It's taken just over 45 years and I'm still learning.(and I use it pretty well every day)

Reply to
clare

Do they still have those vans that supposedly drive around to catch you with your untaxed telly? Noting irregular power usage will be a lot easier.

Reply to
rbowman

Probably a moot point since 95% of the population walks around with ear buds shoved into their skulls. talking to imaginary companions. There have already been cases of people too absorbed in texting that they failed to notice freight trains.

Reply to
rbowman

But you can predict they will do stupid things. it's the suspense of what they'll be that's the killer.

Reply to
rbowman

Actually it doesn't. I've got one of those fancy faux parchment things around here someplace with very few miles on it.

Reply to
rbowman

What I'll be doing at work tomorrow wasn't even invented close to 50 years ago and the precise technology I'll be using doesn't even have 10 years under its belt. It's like being a shark; stop swimming and you die

-- or become a manger.

Reply to
rbowman

Those who can, do; those who can't, manage.

Reply to
Tad Moore

Make the laziest guy in the shop a manger. He knows the shortcuts to get it done.

I manage a small company with 20 employees. I have done every job here so no one can BS me. Fortunately, some others are better at certain jobs than I am.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's a Physics degree, which does mean I'm smart. But it's useless as there are f*ck all jobs in that field.

Nobody should go to University, training on the job is far more useful.

Reply to
James Wilkinson