OT: Electric car batteries

sic

urs

And swapping the battery is the same if not quicker than that.

Which doesn't take 30 minutes. And don't you have washers on your wipers?

I don't ride motorcycles, but I love the sound of something like a Harley.
-- FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes. Excellent condition, 200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.
On 06/25/2016 12:20 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I take it you've never driven through a herd of carolina locusts at 80 mph...

Trust me -- if Harley ever makes an electric bike they'll need to install a high quality stereo system to make it sound right. Come to think of it, I believe there are electric cars to do simulate the sound of real cars so they don't annihilate too many pedestrians.

So use more detergent.

If you don't have a white stick you have no excuse for not seeing an electric car coming.
I hope they don't make them all simulate engine noise. One of the nice things about everybody having an electric car would be quietness.
--
A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store. A couple that she knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"
On 06/26/2016 04:39 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

It's not seeing them, it's hearing them. For example I have a mirror on my bicycle but in most cases I hear cars coming without even checking the mirror. Then there are the assholes who blow their horns when overtaking a bike but I won't go there.
Same thing with pedestrians. I don't cross a street merely because I don't hear a car coming but the auditory cue does add information, particularly when the sight lines are short.

Then you'll have to use the mirror.

The official rule in the UK for the horn is to "warn of your presence", which is what he's doing :-)

Precisely - you don't cross until you're sure. I go by sight, but don't bother looking if can hear it. If the cars were all silent, I'd have to look, but I'd be in no more danger.
--
Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

On 06/26/2016 05:10 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Probably a moot point since 95% of the population walks around with ear buds shoved into their skulls. talking to imaginary companions. There have already been cases of people too absorbed in texting that they failed to notice freight trains.

So let them get removed form the gene pool. Why do we care about them?
--
Yesterday scientists in the USA revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones.
To prove their theory they fed 100 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them started talking nonsense and couldn't drive.

Same reason I don't use the high priced Blue Rhino gas tanks. I don't want someone else's crap when I have a good one that I bought with my money.
If I can charge my car at home, why would I want to pay to swap a battery? Only useful for long tips, not needed and will cost a premium for short trips.
Limited market, high price.

Clearly a different payment system would have to operate. Part of the payment for the swap could pay for battery replacement when they wear out. You'd buy a new electric car knowing the battery you have will always be of operating condition. Every time you swap it it's checked to see if it's past it's usable life, then chucked out if it is.

People who often go more than their car's range before returning home is not a limited market.
--
Girl with skirt up run faster than boy with trousers down!!

On 6/22/2016 10:14 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Limited to people going out of range. How many, how often? You need the answers to see how viable and yes, that is a limited market.
Those communing a few miles to work and trips to the store can just plug in.
What are the numbers?

I'd say considerable, as it's range that stops most people from buying electric cars. But those people only probably need the quick service a few times a year for holidays.
--
Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

On 6/22/2016 1:58 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Take that to your investors and see how far you get. Lets start with an existing building that you can refurb. Up front it can be $100,000 plus rest of $2,000 a month. Add in some chargers at 2k or so each. Storage racks, tools, lifting equipment. You must be open at least 12 hours a day in rural areas, 16 to 24 in big cities. One person manning the station at $15/hr+
I can charge at home for $8. How much will it take to give me a battery swap?

If it's still considerably less than petrol, you'd pay for it for convenience.
--
Avoid messes.. Remember to cover cat before microwaving.

On 6/22/2016 4:25 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

If. The cost of gasoline in the US is about $.073 per mile for my car. The cost to charge an electric is about $.08. Economicaly it is not worth buying, certainly not to pay a premium for charging at a swap station. That will change with market conditions. l

I don't know how you're getting those figures, but when I looked at the electric cost it was about 5 times less than petrol. Sure our petrol costs more, but so does our electricity.
--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

On 7/4/2016 10:57 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Using the Tesla numbers but at the actual rate that we pay in this area https://www.teslamotors.com/models-charging#/calculator
Petrol cost is my actual cost and use. It will vary for different vehicles and fuel prices.
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 10:14:48 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

Slightly OT...
I was at a hotel recently that had 2 parking spots for electric cars. Primo spots, right by the lobby. 2 spots right next to each other. I was there for 4 days and didn't see a single car being charged, day or night. (I was curious, so I kept checking)
My conclusion is that people do not like to stray far from home with an electric car. Perhaps battery swap locations would encourage more road trips.

These aren't D-cells. Consider a typical suburban gas station that fills, on average, 100 cars each hour. That's 2400 cars each day for which they'd need to stock battery packs. At about 5 cu. ft. per ea., that's a large volume of packs to stock (and recharge). Logistically, it's just not possible on a wide-scale.

It's only 2400 if you take a day to charge them.
--
The success of the "Wonder Bra" for under-endowed women has encouraged the designers to come out with a bra for over-endowed women.
It's called the "Sheep Dog Bra"- it rounds them up and points them in the right direction.
On 6/22/2016 12:50 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Would be interesting to know how the distribution fits "morning drive to work", "lunchtime" and "getting off work". You don't get a day to recharge them.
There's a lot of gasoline in the pipeline between the well and the car. Imagine how many batteries it would take to replace the energy stored in that pipeline.