Do coin batteries ever leak?

Coin batteries can be lethal if swollowed. Kids are more at risk.

Not sure if that qualifies. Can't say as I've ever had one leak in a device.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Never seen one leak. Never even seen one bulge.

Reply to
clare

In a survey of 3,000 watches with dead silver oxide batteries, 40% had leaked. They contain zinc and lye, which can produce hydrogen, which can burst seals. High-drain batteries have thinner separators and are more likely to leak. Energizers are the least likely to leak. Unbranded cells are the most likely.

Lithium cells won't leak from electrolysis.

Reply to
J Burns

I've noticed with the standard carbon batteries, if they are left under load (as in leaving your flashlight on in the pre-LED days) they will always leak.

As to the computer CMOS batters...I have yet to see one leak (and I work on hundreds of computers each year)

Reply to
philo

Now that is a true miracle. :)

Reply to
Thomas

You want the lead the congregation in holy haleighleujahs? (We seldom use that word, I can't spell it.) I want to hear you in the back row!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Come to think of it, I myself was given a broken camera that a guy had in his pocket when he got in the swiimming pool or hottub on the cruise boat. He got right out, but the camera didnt' work.

I took it apart and it had white crystals. I guess I thought they came from the ocean, that the sea-water evaporated and this was sea salt.

But maybe they had something to do with the battery discharging through the ion-laden water, and mayb it was leakage. But even if it was, I scraped off the crystals and it looks perfect. No corrosion.

Unfortunately no one sells the battery anymore. So I bought one that's one size bigger, and I think it's too big. Reassembling the camera has dropped low on my todo list. I'm also hoping if a year or two goes by, they'll start making that battery again. (They make the battery itself, but not with solder tabs.)

Reply to
micky

Despite JB's warnings, for which I thank him, I'm going to go with the majority, whom I thank, and feel good. I haven't changed the coin battery in my setback thermostat for 30 years, and it occurred to me that it must be dead by now. Actually it might have been dead 10 years ago, but I didnt' have a fear of it leaking, so I didn't remove it. The thermostat is hard to get to, so now that I "feel good", I'm not going to rush.

Other than that camera, I've never seen one leak either, and the camera cleaned up with no residue. (BTW, many or most digital cameras use a replaceable maybe rechargeable battery, but still have another little battery deep inside. I didn't know that until I took this one apart.

Reply to
micky

It is the "cmos battery" or "KAL" battery - keeps thememory alive for things like date and preferences.

Reply to
clare

Hi Philo,

1+

Those batteries are CR3032 Lithium Button Cells. I change them for my established customers for free as a customer service action. (Nice guy, huh?)

Maybe they don't leak because they are Lithium?

-T

Reply to
Todd