yellow plastic coin ...

There will be a tiny microchip in there, perhaps encapsulated in the plastic. It works the same way as your car key deactivates the immobiliser simply by being in the proximity of the ignition switch area. The coin and the key simply send a unique code they don't store anything

Reply to
Graham.

was in a multi storey car park the other day and I was issued a plastic coin......on leaving the barrier was broken and I got to keep the yellow plastic coin......anyway just opened it up with a pair of pliers as you do and found inside only a flat real of copper wire type stuff.....I was expecting all kinds of electronics....how does it store your arrival time ? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Was the car park one where you paid according to the time you were there, or was there a single "all day" charge. It may be that all they needed was to make sure that only cars which had paid to enter (and be given a token) would be able to exit.

Even if the tokens had any electronics, it might be simply a unique ID which was matched against entry and exit times stored on a central computer.

The park and ride cark parks in York have/had a system where you were given a token on entry which was validated by the driver of the bus that you got on. There was no charge for parking, but they wanted to stop people using the car park to park while they were at work at the local office blocks or at the local shops, without paying to use the bus. For the last few years when I parked there, the machines were out of action and the barriers were permanently raised.

Reply to
NY

Sounds like a standard tag on shop goods to trigger the exit alarm if not deactivated at the till. It's a tuned circuit that gets burnt open circuit to disable it at the till when you pay.

Reply to
Dave W

I'll dig it out of the bin and have another look .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

right had another look....there appears to be a black chip at the center connected to a miniature drum of fine copper wire......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

by how long you stay...had another look and there is a chip at the centre connected to a drum of wire ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yes, they work on a classical "Grid-Dip Oscillator" principle. No transponder chip required, just a coil and a capacitor.

Reply to
Graham.

that black thing in the middle of the coil is not a chip then ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

on 02/08/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :

It was probably an RF ID coin, your arrival time would have been stored when the coin was issued, then you give up the coin to pay and exit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote on 02/08/2019 :

The drum of copper, is the antenna coil. It picks up the field, which wakes it up to transmit a code which is fixed and unique, to a receiver. You have the only coin with that particular code. They know when you accepted the coin, they know when you try to exit and charge you for the difference in time between the two.

The RF ID coins/tokens cost just a few pence in bulk.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Give us a photo.

Reply to
Dave W

can't ....I have flung it again .......this time with the cat litter over it ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

but I got to keep it and butcher it .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote on 02/08/2019 :

They are cheap, just pennies to buy in bulk, so no great loss they will have thousands of them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I wasn't bothered If I knew the barrier was fecked I wouldn't have paid the £3.50 .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...