Vapor barrier under carpet? What to use

I had some building plans prepared by an architect. He called for a vapor barrier to be put under the carpeting that is on ground level and has a concrete base. What type of product should I use? Just clear plastic film?

Carpet installers don't do this type of work.

Reply to
raymondj

visquine.. the clear platic that the concrete workers put under the concrete before pouring it.. i bough a roll of that stuff in a box, it was like 10 ft. by 100 feet.. cost me about $12 about 15 yrs. ago.. got it from the same company that sells rebars and wire mesh that goes into the concrete when you pour a concrete slab..... look in the yellow pages for concrete supplies, reinforcing rods, etc. and you will find the companies that sell it...... its a vapor barrier and i cant remember the thickness of the stuff, but it was alot thicker than the stuff they sell in the local hardware store for a paint drop cloth.......

Reply to
jim

This almost says the architect provided plans without specifying what materials should be used.

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Vapor barrier is 6 mil plastic. Overlap the seams at least 4" and tape them with "red" Tuck tape made for this application (not ordinary parcel tape or duck tape)

Reply to
Rudy

What? The architect's plans are about steel, concrete, rebar, drainage, framing, windows, roofing, HVAC. He doesn't get into what type of carpeting or flooring to use. It was his "recommendation" to use a vapor barrier on the ground floor. When you have something useful to say please respond then.

Reply to
Jepeddo

Rudy, thanks for your reply. I have never seen that tape before but I will look for it. Any idea where I can find it? (Any home improvement store or a specialty store?)

Reply to
Jepeddo

home depot has it, i think in the tiling section.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer