ok to put wood post under crawlspace vapor barrier?

A contractor put a vapor barrier in my crawlspace covering some load bearing wood posts -- the vertical 4x4 that props up the joists (some call it a pier). That means the humidity from the dirt would condense on the wood post and potentially cause rot.

I thought that is a code violation but the contractor said it is ok to do this for treated wood. I'm not even sure that post is pressure treated. There's no perforations or stain on it like fence posts.

Could someone point me to building code related to this topic? I did a quick search with google but didn't find it.

You don't have to look up the exact web page, but a general pointer would be very helpful (e.g. search web site xxx.com for it).

If it makes any difference, I'm in the state of WA.

I need a web site with enough authority to convince the contractor. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob

On 07/17/2015 3:59 PM, Bob wrote: ...

Call and ask your local Code enforcement folk...

Reply to
dpb

You did get a permit for the work the contractor did, right? Then ask the inspector at the next inspection.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The newer pressure treated woods don't hold up as well as the old stuff since they stopped using goodies like arsenic compounds in them. Don't think they are recommended for in ground use.

Reply to
Frank